Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5721|College Park, MD
Well, I figure I'd post this here because there are some aged souls on here who probably have experience with this sort of thing.

I've recently felt incredibly lost. I feel like I cannot find my purpose in life. Not in the suicidal sense, but as in I just can't find out what I want to do. I'm only 18, yet I'm almost done with one year of college, and eventually it'll be two years, so on so forth. I have zero idea what I want to major in. There are so many things that I want to do with my life that it's hard to pick just one. I want to do something that feels rewarding, something that I can enjoy. I want to wake up on Monday mornings and look forward to it, not start counting down to Friday evening.

I also want to live in a wonderful place... possibly even where I live right now. The problem is, all the places I would want to live in have such a high cost of living that it seems like I'd have to abandon all dreams of a job I enjoy for something that's stale, boring but brings in a lot of dough.

I keep wondering why I'm in college. I guess it's the logical step after high school, but I really have not been able to "discover myself" like everyone romanticized. I have discovered that I have a strong dislike of advanced math, which makes things like engineering very difficult for me to do (I like the idea of engineering and what engineers do, but I just don't think I can handle all that math). So now what? It seems everything else doesn't lead to any specific job. I really can't figure out what I want to do with my life just taking classes.

I guess I just want some sort of advice on what I should do. How to 'discover myself,' whatever the hell that means.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
eleven bravo
+1,399|5279|foggy bottom
get laid dude
Tu Stultus Es
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6712
See my sig.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

eleven bravo wrote:

get laid dude
i have
eleven bravo
+1,399|5279|foggy bottom
not recently enough
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5378|London, England
Took me until I was 27 to figure out what I wanted to do in life. You'll figure it out.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6019|The Mitten
on a (hopefully) more interesting note...

weren't you involved in your HS theatre dept?
EE (hats
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6704|United States of America
Yeah, it's an imperfect system. I wasn't really sure about what I wanted to do originally (just something within health, kinda bounced around between concentrations) but I think the hardest thing about college was picking a major because I was interested in so many things and didn't want to just deal with one. In the end, I've gone for the science-y path because I have a feeling I wouldn't have done as well in liberal arts or engineering (maths!!!). Does your university have any sort of undergraduate studies program or Undecided major?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
@John so what exactly are you doing with it? All I know is you love economics and engineering

@Morph yes

@DFox yeah we do, I'm transferring to that major actually (I applied under computer science, but I discovered during high school comp sci that I don't really like it, so now I have to change major to undecided)
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6019|The Mitten
so was there any interest in doing theater stuff? there are a bunch of great schools that let you do theater right when you get there...
EE (hats
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
IDK, it's always been more of a hobby or side thing.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5718
Relax man. I'm sure there are tons of people who feel the exact same way.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6712
Be a fucking stage designer. Engineering + Theatre. Boom, I just changed your life forever.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6019|The Mitten

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

that's how it started for me, then i decided i didn't like calc 2 (or it didn't like me)...
4 years later I've (almost) got a degree I like, with a bunch of prospective jobs that sound like tons of fun.

tl:dr - Pick something fun and go for it. Make a career out of a hobby.
EE (hats
Chou
+737|6810

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Relax man. I'm sure there are tons of people who feel the exact same way.
That's a real relief: my name is chou and i'm an alcoholic.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6168|'straya
You're to young to really know (in my opinion, i'm not trying to be patronizing ....I'm in the same boat). I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I bit the bullet (har har) and did something while setting up an alternate route if my choice doesn't pan out. You'll never know if you don't try, so find something you like and give it a go. Today's world is great where there are so many opportunities, you'll find what you want to do eventually
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6385|California
dude just do your undergrad shit, enjoy the life, when junior year comes you'll probably figure it out
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6736
Go get paid to get shot at.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6125|eXtreme to the maX
So pick a subject which you're good at and do enjoy and go for that - provided it has some kind of future.

A good result in any degree is better than a crap result in a degree you think today could be useful some time in the future.

(I was not not much good at maths, but if you stick at it anyone can learn calculus)
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

@John so what exactly are you doing with it? All I know is you love economics and engineering

@Morph yes

@DFox yeah we do, I'm transferring to that major actually (I applied under computer science, but I discovered during high school comp sci that I don't really like it, so now I have to change major to undecided)
Finishing up school right now with the goal of getting into research and design for new green energy products. Medium range goal is to do well enough on the GMAT to get into the University of Chicago's school of economics or the Stern business school at NYU. I want to own my own business(es) one day, the engineering is just a means of earning money until I can solidify what I want to do. It pays well.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Morpheus wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

that's how it started for me, then i decided i didn't like calc 2 (or it didn't like me)...
4 years later I've (almost) got a degree I like, with a bunch of prospective jobs that sound like tons of fun.

Good way to go through life as a whining liberal making $30k a year and wondering why your parents lied to you when they told you that you were a unique snowflake.
-Frederick Bastiat
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6549|Global Command
I've known a lot of people who got a degree they didn't know what to do with, or attended college not knowing what they wanted to do for a living.

The bottom line is you will be more employable if you stick it out.
androoz
Banned
+137|5233|United States

JohnG@lt wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Good way to go through life as a whining liberal making $30k a year and wondering why your parents lied to you when they told you that you were a unique snowflake.
not everyone wants a life that revolves around money.

also its possible to find a career that you enjoy and make a lot of money doing it. so i dont see what that whole 30k a year shit is about.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6687

androoz wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

not everyone wants a life that revolves around money.

also its possible to find a career that you enjoy and make a lot of money doing it. so i dont see what that whole 30k a year shit is about.
That's youth talking.  Yes, money can't completely buy happiness, but it sure helps a lot.   Making loads of money isn't so much an issue when you are single, as it is fairly easy to get away with things with very little money.  But once you are married and have kids, money is a big deal.  If you are loaded, happiness is being able to afford to fly to Florida for the weekend, to go to Europe for a couple weeks, to Asia for a month, go deep sea fishing with buddies on weekdays, cabin to Big Bear for the weekend, trip to Catalina Island for the hell of it, annual passes to all the local attractions, catching a Lakers game with great seats, hitting a show on a whim, etc.  And if that means getting a job that pays a lot, but is not your #1 choice for a job, so be it.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6588|Mountains of NC

https://www.golfco7thmar.com/sitebuilder/images/GraphicsYellowFootPrints1-395x289.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard