Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Speaks volumes that people are approving and applauding an obvious message against something that is obviously against the main teachings of Islam.
Not necessarily...  Like Christianity, there are varying interpretations of Islam.  Some support terrorism, some don't.

In general, Islam has a more militant streak than Christianity, which is part of why the fanatics of Islam tend to be more violent nowadays.

So, more clerics making these decrees is a good thing, because sadly, there are a lot of other imams making decrees in support of terror.

In addition, because Muslims tend to be more religious than Christians on average, they tend to be more influenced by their clergy.
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

Turquoise wrote:

Muslims tend to be more religious than Christians on average
totally meaningless statement is totally meaningless.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Pochsy wrote:

pfff old. Tariq Modood did it ages ago. Like 1990's. He's all up in that shit.
Liberal movements within Islam are older than that.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

ruisleipa wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

You missed the most important part of his statement.

Turquoise wrote:

In addition, because Muslims tend to be more religious than Christians on average, they tend to be more influenced by their clergy.
And he's spot on, btw. That's why this imam's fatwa (as opposed to just a sermon) is important.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Or maybe Christians have achieved religious, military and political dominance over the world and can afford to be more relaxed.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Or maybe Christians have achieved religious, military and political dominance over the world and can afford to be more relaxed.
Or...maybe...we saw how fucked up things got when you allowed every aspect of your life to be dominated by the clergy like that (see Europe, Middle Ages to Industrial Revolution)
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Or.... the Christian church has achieved all its objectives and can take a break for a bit?
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

FEOS wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

sorry but since the rest of the sentence relies on that one statment, which is pants, I'm not convinced.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Turquoise wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Speaks volumes that people are approving and applauding an obvious message against something that is obviously against the main teachings of Islam.
Not necessarily...  Like Christianity, there are varying interpretations of Islam.  Some support terrorism, some don't.
No, not really.  For an interpretation to be valid it has to pass a great amount of scrutiny.  Any practitioner of Islam will tell you that terror is never sactioned - just because we see varying degrees of 'Islam' practiced by different groups doesn't necessarily mean that Muslims themselves or the Muslim community at large (especially certain religious councils that are charged with interpreting the laws and core values of Islam) see these people as true practitioners.  To many Muslims, how they see themselves and other practitioners of Islam is much more important than what outsiders think.

Turquoise wrote:

In general, Islam has a more militant streak than Christianity, which is part of why the fanatics of Islam tend to be more violent nowadays.

So, more clerics making these decrees is a good thing, because sadly, there are a lot of other imams making decrees in support of terror.

Those decrees in support of terror hold no weight in Muslim communities.  They hold weight to fanatics that aren't true Muslims.  There is no evidence anywhere by any legitimate Muslim scholar that provides justification for terrorism or any offensive (as opposed to defensive) military act.

Muslims are on average more devout perhaps, but they don't (and can't) take whatever their clergy says as a true tenant of Islam.  There is a vetting process for any information - and true Muslims will tell you that if it does not hold up to multiple tests of scrutiny on multiple levels then it is supposed to be cast out.  There is a sort of great scholarly history within Islam of spirited debate and constantly testing a particular testament of faith.

It is sort of like Pat Robertson or Fred Phelps - true Christians largely don't waste their breath railing against those types (except maybe to other Christians) because they don't view them as proper.  And we as a society don't sit with bated breath amid calls for Christian leaders to come out and denounce the platforms of Westboro.  Of course people will argue that is because the Phelps' don't blow people up in the name of their God, but then Muslims will tell you that anyone that does that isn't a true Muslim.  That's usually when a non-Muslim tries to teach a Muslim what the Muslim person's religious beliefs are.
Turquoise
O Canada

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

No, not really.  For an interpretation to be valid it has to pass a great amount of scrutiny.  Any practitioner of Islam will tell you that terror is never sactioned - just because we see varying degrees of 'Islam' practiced by different groups doesn't necessarily mean that Muslims themselves or the Muslim community at large (especially certain religious councils that are charged with interpreting the laws and core values of Islam) see these people as true practitioners.  To many Muslims, how they see themselves and other practitioners of Islam is much more important than what outsiders think.
I'd argue the opposite, actually.  How outsiders view Islam is a big factor for whether or not we decide to invade a majority-Muslim country.  If the majority of the outside world gets the impression that an Islamic state and culture is supportive of terror, then there's a much greater likelihood that a Western power will invade or otherwise meddle with them.

Beyond that, however, your last sentence above kind of confirms what I was saying.  How imams or other religious officials respond to terrorism affects perceptions within the Muslim community.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Those decrees in support of terror hold no weight in Muslim communities.  They hold weight to fanatics that aren't true Muslims.  There is no evidence anywhere by any legitimate Muslim scholar that provides justification for terrorism or any offensive (as opposed to defensive) military act.
And since a lot of fanatics rationalize their position as defending their cultures from Western influence, they can easily use the Quran to support their cause.  This is how they also manage to trick naive, young Muslims into joining their cause.  Mohammed himself wasn't exactly a pacifist.  He and his successors engaged in a lot of conquests to spread their faith.

So whether or not someone is a "true Muslim" is a matter of perception.  The fanatics often regard themselves as the only true Muslims because they are the only ones defending against "Western aggressors."  From their perspective, this is a holy war.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Muslims are on average more devout perhaps, but they don't (and can't) take whatever their clergy says as a true tenant of Islam.  There is a vetting process for any information - and true Muslims will tell you that if it does not hold up to multiple tests of scrutiny on multiple levels then it is supposed to be cast out.  There is a sort of great scholarly history within Islam of spirited debate and constantly testing a particular testament of faith.
But they do sometimes take the words of an imam or other religious official as true tenants.  They do this the same way that some Christians take what the Pope says as being "gospel" so to speak.  This particular vetting you speak of is no different from any other major religion.  It doesn't change the fact that clergy often wield a lot of power among the religious -- whether it's Christians, Muslims, or other followers of a faith.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

It is sort of like Pat Robertson or Fred Phelps - true Christians largely don't waste their breath railing against those types (except maybe to other Christians) because they don't view them as proper.  And we as a society don't sit with bated breath amid calls for Christian leaders to come out and denounce the platforms of Westboro.  Of course people will argue that is because the Phelps' don't blow people up in the name of their God, but then Muslims will tell you that anyone that does that isn't a true Muslim.  That's usually when a non-Muslim tries to teach a Muslim what the Muslim person's religious beliefs are.
Robertson and Phelps are clearly fanatics as well, but they're still Christian, because that's what they identify themselves as.  They still believe in Christ, so therefore, they are Christian.  It's just the same with terrorists who claim Islam as their faith.  They are Muslims, regardless of how they interpret the Quran.

Now, I'm not saying that Phelps or Robertson represent the average Christian anymore than Osama Bin Laden represents the average Muslim.  However, having high profile Muslims speak out against terror is just as important as when Christians speak out against things like abortion clinic bombings.  Yes, anyone with common sense and without fanaticism should know that terrorism is bad; however, in the current geopolitical climate, it's important for Muslims to remind each other and the outside world that terrorism is not what reasonable Muslims engage in.

The reasons why this is important relate back to the perceptions argument I mentioned at the beginning of this post and to the fact that some Muslim populations are more radical in their leanings.  Because of the suffering they experience, Palestinians tend to be more vulnerable to being taken in by extremism.  Those who sympathize with Palestinians also are vulnerable.  It doesn't mean that what Israel is doing is right, but it also doesn't justify becoming an extremist.  That's where guidance needs to come in from people like the one mentioned in the OP.

There are other vulnerable Muslim groups as well, like certain Iraqi, Afghani, and Pakistani groups.  Because they have had to deal with the suffering of war with the West, they are more likely to fall prey to extremism as well.
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Or.... the Christian church has achieved all its objectives and can take a break for a bit?
No, FEOS's mentioning of the industrial revolution has more merit.  Also, the Enlightenment changed the West culturally in ways that allowed itself to become more logical and science-minded.  Unfortunately, the Middle East and parts of South Asia are in dire need of something equivalent to that to become less orthodox in their interpretations of Islam and more focused on social progression.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-03-03 23:17:19)

FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

ruisleipa wrote:

FEOS wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

sorry but since the rest of the sentence relies on that one statment, which is pants, I'm not convinced.
I'd say that your assessment of "pantsness" is pants, tbh.
― Albert Einstein

11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5238|Cleveland, Ohio

ruisleipa wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

wow what a contribution.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

ATG wrote:

High volume of drivel posts for such a new thread.

I support this guy and am grateful for his speaking out.
What difference will this make? Different interpretations of that bullshit religion and all ( remember?)

What makes this guys opinion the end all and be all of Islamic actions and practices and beliefs? Is this all that had to be done, some guy writes a letter condemning it and it all stops? Pardon me if I do not put much hope in this.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

ATG wrote:

What difference will this make? Different interpretations of that bullshit religion and all ( remember?)

What makes this guys opinion the end all and be all of Islamic actions and practices and beliefs? Is this all that had to be done, some guy writes a letter condemning it and it all stops? Pardon me if I do not put much hope in this.
Well considering you basically say anything that claims Islam is less than an inherently evil and murderous religion is utter crap, of course not...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

ATG wrote:

Well considering you basically say anything that claims Islam is less than an inherently evil and murderous religion is utter crap, of course not...
Only because Islam is nothing less than an "inherently evil and murderous religion". Actions speak louder than words, Spark, and the actions in the name of Islam pretty much speaks for itself.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

lowing wrote:

Only because Islam is nothing less than an "inherently evil and murderous religion".
No it isn't.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

Only because Islam is nothing less than an "inherently evil and murderous religion".
No it isn't.
Sorry, current events, its teachings, its laws and actions committed on its behalf says differently.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Need to look back a bit.

Anyway, I'm sure you have the figures for Iraqis killed by Americans vs Americans killed by Iraqis for example.

Pretty sure WWI and WWII were fought by god-fearin' Christian countries too.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-03-04 04:38:38)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Need to look back a bit.

Anyway, I'm sure you have the figures for Iraqis killed by Americans vs Americans killed by Iraqis for example.
Any figures on Iraqis killing Iraqis, or had we better not talk about that? How about figures on Muslims killing Musims in the name of Islam. Got figures?

Last edited by lowing (2010-03-04 04:42:09)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Whatever, pretty sure more muslims have been killed by Americans lately than vice versa so you argument is BS, as usual.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Whatever, pretty sure more muslims have been killed by Americans lately than vice versa so you argument is BS, as usual.
Probably since most Islamic terrorists are Muslims. Not sure what your point is.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5238|Cleveland, Ohio

Dilbert_X wrote:

bollocks.  i bet more muslims killed muslims by suicide bombs and shit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

11 Bravo wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Notice his counter argument is "whatever", then claims mine is BS....go figure
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

11 Bravo wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

i'll bet more Mohammedans were killed by Islamists than any other group.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard