baggs
+732|6223
As per the topic title, i got TF2 ages ago in the Orange Box, played a little bit but would get it handed to me round after round. I'd love to start playing it properly now.

Anyone here who is willing to give me some sound advice? Class selection? Tactics? Pointers etc...?

Perhaps these is a good site for exactly what i want to know?

x x
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6673

I'm with ya on this one. Got it in the OB as well, but haven't played much at all. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing, I haven't stuck with any one kit enough to pick up the nuances, so I basically run around doing fuckall and don't feel like I'm contributing to a team effort. I see how long the game has lasted and see how many people still play it and love it, and it makes me sad I wish I could have that much fun!
baggs
+732|6223

mtb0minime wrote:

I'm with ya on this one. Got it in the OB as well, but haven't played much at all. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing, I haven't stuck with any one kit enough to pick up the nuances, so I basically run around doing fuckall and don't feel like I'm contributing to a team effort. I see how long the game has lasted and see how many people still play it and love it, and it makes me sad I wish I could have that much fun!
Yeah exactly! I don't mind playing on a phat ping to hang out and learn how to play properly, maybe we should get together and fail in unison
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6683|NT, like Mick Dundee

Go medic and learn the maps while chasing a decent player around.

Then play each to get a feel for what you like. Each has strengths and weaknesses.

My personal favourite is by far the solly.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6673

I just don't even understand the shit with all the items and hats and unlockables and how to get them and some of the achievements and wtf argads;fhdf;adkjads;kl
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Ignore that shit. Don't worry about it until you figure out a few maps and playmodes.

Learning the maps really, really helps.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6342|Graz, Austria
Yeah, ignore all the extras.
Just do what each class is supposed to do and all the achievements will be coming in, thus getting you all unlockables soon.
More so with the unlocks you'll randomly get from playing over time.

Note:
Once you get an unlock (or hat), either through an achievement or from a random drop, there'll be an in-game pop-up after your next death.
Make sure you don't click the "delete" button too quick, or they'll be gone for good, except if you go through Steam support.
(I do believe that a safety question has been added recently though.)
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6487
Go medic, only heal demomen.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6288
I agree. Go Medic, and follow the Heavys, Soldiers and Demomen who look like they know what they're doing. However saying that, heal everyone else at every chance you get because the more overhealed teammates the better.

You'll learn the maps, learn the game modes, learn how the classes you heal play, and will help the team considerably. It's very rewarding when your team wins the round and you know it was you, your patient, and your crucial Ubercharge more than anyone else who made it happen.

Once you've learned some maps and learned how everything works then try Soldier, Heavy, Scout or something.

Ignore the achievements, unlocks, hats etc for now. While most unlocks seem to be little more than training wheels, you'll be a better player in the long run if you learn how to play using the stock guns.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-12-11 06:02:53)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6673

Yeah, 90% of the my time playing TF2 thus far has been as a medic going around healing everyone I can find, or as an engineer building turrets in the back.

Guess I'll keep at it then
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Oh and once you learn the maps and shit play soldier cause it's the best class in the game.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6487

Flecco wrote:

Oh and once you learn the maps and shit play soldier cause it's the best class in the game.
Oh please.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Shadow893
lel
+75|6711|England

Flecco wrote:

Oh and once you learn the maps and shit don't play soldier cause it's the worst class in the game.
fixed

Last edited by Shadow893 (2009-12-11 15:44:29)

dill13
+67|6212

Flecco wrote:

listen to this man soly is the best balanced class the game has to offer. ps dont play spy cause their cheap
Kez
+778|5722|London, UK

dill13 wrote:

listen to this man soly is the best balanced class the game has to offer. ps dont play spy cause their cheap
biased statement ignore this prick guy
dill13
+67|6212

Kez wrote:

dill13 wrote:

I have to say that demoman is the next best class but without his grenades exploding on contact with anything and no shotgun pistol he has to place his shots perfect. With the travel time and arch of the nade makes it difficult.
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6421|dm_maidenhead
ITT: SPUF-esque replies
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5807|Catherine Black

dill13 wrote:

Kez wrote:

dill13 wrote:

I have to say that demoman is the next best class but without his grenades exploding on contact with anything and no shotgun pistol he has to place his shots perfect. With the travel time and arch of the nade makes it difficult.
Or you could do what every pubwhore does, repeatedly press LMB and hope for the best.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6489

Finray wrote:

dill13 wrote:

Kez wrote:

Or you could do what every pubwhore does, repeatedly press LMB and hope for the best.
ITP: pubwhore pretends he's anything different
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6171|what

Uzique wrote:

Finray wrote:

dill13 wrote:

ITP: pubwhore pretends he's anything different
Like you can talk Mr. I used to pwn every league I ever played in but now I don't play in leagues cause they patched gameplay mechanics for balance.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6489
hahaha.

i dont play computer games anymore, period, and havent done for about a year. i didnt specifically 'quit' any game because of gameplay changes. and haha fuck off have any of the major changes / development decisions made in tf2 in the last year been for "balance".

Last edited by Uzique (2009-12-22 09:46:45)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6171|what

Uzique wrote:

and haha fuck off have any of the major changes / development decisions made in tf2 in the last year been for "balance".
How the hell would you know when

Uzique wrote:

i dont play computer games anymore, period, and havent done for about a year.
If you're going to criticise tf2 as a game without balance, maybe you should try playing it first.

I could say don't judge a book by it's cover, but you haven't even entered the library.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6489
cause by 'play games' i mean play serious on leagues, which is what everyone criticizes me for... i have occasionally and casually played pubs throughout, i still have my finger on the pulse and general taste of the chaos and gimmicks. i dont really think you're anyone to tell me i "havent even entered the library", arent you the typical average-casual player of tf2 that plays it 'becuz its a joke game and makes me laff'? ssh up and stop trying to be clever.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6171|what

I play tf2 because it obviously is not meant to be taken seriously. If it was, you wouldn't have seen a drop system, hats, one class patched at a time. If you play a game like that for league purposes only, you're kidding yourself.

But I don't quite think I can take a post of yours for face value anyway, when

uzique wrote:

I dont play computer games anymore, period
is now meant to equal "yeah I play games, of course I play games!!! I just meant not leagues any more".

You're back peddling because once again you've contradicted yourself and are trying to keep some semblance of credibility. Maybe the multiple rages in each thread you persist in submitting has left you no option but to argue for the sake of arguing. Sad really.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6489
i thought the meaning of my statement about "playing games" would have made perfect sense considering the context of the discussion. whenever i put forward a view on games i am harangued for being a 'league elitist', and in response to that by saying "i dont play games anymore" the simple intent of the statement was to assert that i have not played games in the accused-fashion for over a year. i think it's common knowledge to everyone in the source-engine sub-forum that i still very occasionally pop on for a casual game. you're not a dumb guy so drop the absurd logic and pedantic quaff to just try and 'prove' some tenuous point. yes, yes of course i just like arguing, it's not possible at all that my original statement was hyperbolic or contextually relevant to the argument that was ongoing at the time.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard