Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5611

Questions about how much the wireless industry knew about the risks of distracted driving are not academic — at least not to Jennifer Smith.

Ms. Smith’s mother was killed last year when her car was hit by a driver talking on his cellphone. Ms. Smith, 35, has sued the companies that provided the driver’s phone and wireless service.

She hopes to prove that the companies should have foreseen the dangers and that they failed to provide adequate warnings.

Legal experts said her lawsuit, currently the only such case and one of only a handful ever filed, faces steep challenges but also raises interesting questions about responsibility for behavior that is a threat to everyone on the road.

“This is a compelling type of legal claim,” said Kenneth A. Bamberger, a professor at the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law. “It deals with the widespread use of a product we now know is involved in significant risk and deals with the ultimate question of who should contribute in minimizing the risk.”

The lawsuit, filed in October, involves a crash in Oklahoma City on Sept. 3, 2008. Ms. Smith’s mother, Linda Doyle, 61, died after her Toyota Rav4 was hit by a Ford pickup driven by Christopher Hill. Mr. Hill, then 20, told the police he was so distracted by a cellphone call that he ran a red light at 45 miles an hour, hitting Ms. Doyle’s car as it crossed in front of him.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/07/techn … .html?_r=1
So legit court case or overboard. I say overboard.

Damn it burnzz

Last edited by Macbeth (2009-12-06 20:24:58)

13/f/taiwan
+940|5724
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure she could sue the driver of the vehicle and the insurance will have to pay for the cost.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6523

she's 35. her mother was the victim. i don't know her well enough to call her that, i do know from what you posted she'd have an easier time getting compensated for negligence on the part of the offender than sueing the cell provider.
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6657|New Hampshire, USA
This perpetuates the belief that nothing is anyone's fault, so we must sue manufacturers.

Guy is talking on a cell phone, not paying attention, and kills a woman.  So the cell phone company's CEO must have been behind the guy forcing him to use the phone because it wasnt the guy's fault for not paying attention, oh no that would just be stupid.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
Karbin
+42|6320

-=]NS[=-Eagle wrote:

This perpetuates the belief that nothing is anyone's fault, so we must sue manufacturers.

Guy is talking on a cell phone, not paying attention, and kills a woman.  So the cell phone company's CEO must have been behind the guy forcing him to use the phone because it wasnt the guy's fault for not paying attention, oh no that would just be stupid.

Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6025|The Mitten

-=]NS[=-Eagle wrote:

You forgot to mention that the cell phone company makes way more money than the driver of the car.
EE (hats
13/f/taiwan
+940|5724

Morpheus wrote:

-=]NS[=-Eagle wrote:

You forgot to mention that the cell phone company makes way more money than the driver of the car.

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure she could sue the driver of the vehicle and the insurance will have to pay for the cost.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6025|The Mitten

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

-=]NS[=-Eagle wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

i wasn't talking to you.
EE (hats
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5728|College Park, MD

Morpheus wrote:

-=]NS[=-Eagle wrote:

What the hell does money have to do with it? Money's not going to bring her mother back from the grave. The guy should be barred from ever getting a license again, have his car repo'd and sold (the money can go to the daughter) and then be locked up in jail for a very long time.

This is like suing Anheuser-Busch for drunk driving accidents. That's retarded. Just sue the person responsible for his actions.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6025|The Mitten

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

-=]NS[=-Eagle wrote:

What the hell does money have to do with it? Money's not going to bring her mother back from the grave. The guy should be barred from ever getting a license again, have his car repo'd and sold (the money can go to the daughter) and then be locked up in jail for a very long time.

This is like suing Anheuser-Busch for drunk driving accidents. That's retarded. Just sue the person responsible for his actions.
Never said it would. And he probably should.

But, you should know some people would sell their own mother... pardon the pun.
EE (hats
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
I know they would, that doesn't mean they should be able to.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6025|The Mitten

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Yea, it's all that damn 'freedom' everyone's talking about....
EE (hats
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Morpheus wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I can't tell if you're seriously supporting this woman suing a cell phone company for something they have zero responsibility for or not.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6025|The Mitten

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I can't tell if you're seriously supporting this woman suing a cell phone company for something they have zero responsibility for or not.
that last sentence was supposed to be sarcastic.
EE (hats
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6747|Sydney, Australia
Hurri, you think she is completely retarded for going after the mobile phone company, right? Regardless...

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

What the hell does money have to do with it?
Wait a sec.

She is suing the manufacturer of the mobile phone. A completely frivolous lawsuit.

And it's NOT about money.

ha. hahaha hahahahaha

Right.

Anyway,

Questions about how much the wireless industry knew about the risks of distracted driving are not academic — at least not to Jennifer Smith.

Ms. Smith’s mother was killed last year when her car was hit by a driver talking on his cellphone. Ms. Smith, 35, has sued the companies that provided the driver’s phone and wireless service.

She hopes to prove that the companies should have foreseen the dangers and that they failed to provide adequate warnings.

Legal experts said her lawsuit, currently the only such case and one of only a handful ever filed, faces steep challenges but also raises interesting questions about responsibility for behavior that is a threat to everyone on the road.

“This is a compelling type of legal claim,” said Kenneth A. Bamberger, a professor at the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law. “It deals with the widespread use of a product we now know is involved in significant risk and deals with the ultimate question of who should contribute in minimizing the risk.”

The lawsuit, filed in October, involves a crash in Oklahoma City on Sept. 3, 2008. Ms. Smith’s mother, Linda Doyle, 61, died after her Toyota Rav4 was hit by a Ford pickup driven by Christopher Hill. Mr. Hill, then 20, told the police he was so distracted by a cellphone call that he ran a red light at 45 miles an hour, hitting Ms. Doyle’s car as it crossed in front of him.
Federal or state governments should legislate a ban on using mobile phones while driving. There should also be severe fines/penalties for breaching these laws.

Done.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6025|The Mitten

mcminty wrote:

Hurri, you think she is completely retarded for going after the mobile phone company, right? Regardless...

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

What the hell does money have to do with it?
Wait a sec.

She is suing the manufacturer of the mobile phone. A completely frivolous lawsuit.

And it's NOT about money.

ha. hahaha hahahahaha

Right.

Anyway,

Federal or state governments should legislate a ban on using mobile phones while driving. There should also be severe fines/penalties for breaching these laws.

Done.
Err... it is technically illegal to use a cellphone while driving in most states now...
EE (hats
mcminty

Morpheus wrote:

Err... it is technically illegal to use a cellphone while driving in most states now...
It is? That's a welcome change from the pop-culture image of America that's presented on TV here..

What are the penalties, in your state for example?

Here if a driver gets caught, they get a fine of $250-330 and lose 3 or 4 demerit points from their license. Provisional drivers (17-21) have either 4 or 7 demerit points on their license (depending on the class of license).. so to lose that much is a lot. If all are lost, then the license is usually suspended for 6 months..
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6025|The Mitten

mcminty wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

It is? That's a welcome change from the pop-culture image of America that's presented on TV here..

Here if a driver gets caught, they get a fine of $250-330 and lose 3 or 4 demerit points from their license. Provisional drivers (17-21) have either 4 or 7 demerit points on their license (depending on the class of license).. so to lose that much is a lot. If all are lost, then the license is usually suspended for 6 months..
I said 'technically'...

and apparently, it varies by state... I'm originally from NJ (had to leave... didn't want to be associated with another NJ user here... )

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws … _laws.html
EE (hats
mcminty

Morpheus wrote:

mcminty wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

I said 'technically'...

and apparently, it varies by state... I'm originally from NJ (had to leave... didn't want to be associated with another NJ user here... )

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws … _laws.html
Ah, "technically". I get ya.

Mm, it still seems that many states allow handheld use, which is of course both a distraction to the driver and another obstacle if they need to react quickly to traffic conditions.

There need to be uniform legal changes at a federal level, as well as a cultural paradigm shift, in order to change the behaviour of drivers. It would be well worth it..
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
Just lock people up for a long fucking time if they injure or kill others because of using a cell phone (or being under the influence) while driving.
Benzin
+576|6024

mcminty wrote:

Mm, it still seems that many states allow handheld use, which is of course both a distraction to the driver and another obstacle if they need to react quickly to traffic conditions.

There need to be uniform legal changes at a federal level, as well as a cultural paradigm shift, in order to change the behaviour of drivers. It would be well worth it..
You're right - but the problem is the federal government in the USA. When people make these blanket statements about things America needs to fix, they don't realize that the federal government is too large and corrupt to fix any of it. A lot of America's problems could be fixed at the state level if you could get all 50 states to band together and ignore the federal government, but that's just as unlikely as waiting for Congress to do something.

Again, you're right, but it will never happen. The American government (I'm an American) and the vast majority of the county is just too stupid, culturally and intellectually.
mcminty

CapnNismo wrote:

mcminty wrote:

You're right - but the problem is the federal government in the USA. When people make these blanket statements about things America needs to fix, they don't realize that the federal government is too large and corrupt to fix any of it. A lot of America's problems could be fixed at the state level if you could get all 50 states to band together and ignore the federal government, but that's just as unlikely as waiting for Congress to do something.

Again, you're right, but it will never happen. The American government (I'm an American) and the vast majority of the county is just too stupid, culturally and intellectually.
Too right mate.. I knew that was a lofty idea all along I'm sure there would be some sort of driving lobby or cell phone lobby against those kind of harsh laws, as they would "infringe on the right of the driver to use their phone be a complete idiot".. or something like that

I guess I'm lucky that Australia has a population around 1/14th that of America's - it takes a lot less effort to convince a majority of people to make and adopt to laws critical to community safety.
Benzin
+576|6024
Yea, but Oz has a lot of issues with extremeness in the government. Could certainly work on that one...

I would be all for splitting the USA by region into separate countries and then having like an EU-type thing at the top. Would probably be more efficient in passing actual useful legislation.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6707|Disaster Free Zone

Morpheus wrote:

So is the driver being charged with murder?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5384|London, England

mcminty wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

New York State has a law that does not allow you to use a hand-held mobile telephone while you drive. If you use a hand-held mobile telephone while you drive, except to call 911 or to contact medical, fire or police personnel about an emergency, you can receive a traffic ticket and pay a maximum fine of $100 and mandatory surcharges and fees of $80.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/DMVfaqs.htm#cell
So, $180 here in NY.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard