FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6434|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Varegg wrote:

It is kinda pedantic FEOS seeing you post wise words of famous generals and at the same time acknowledge that the US have very few days of peace since WW2 ...
Yes but those wars have all been started by politicians. If JFK and LBJ didn't give the orders to send troops to 'Nam, it wouldn't have happened.
Of course it wouldn't ... doesn't matter who recides in the White House young one when the war lobby starts doing their thing, and that group whispering "war" in the ear of the President also has generals in it ...

You guys have an entire industry that depends on the army being occupied ...
Did you have to go somewhere special to get that tinfoil hat fitted, or is it an off-the-shelf thing?

As for the "very few days of peace" comment: we just get all the press. I think we've been down this road before regarding military action since WW2...it's not a US-only show by any stretch.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6833|Nårvei

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Yes but those wars have all been started by politicians. If JFK and LBJ didn't give the orders to send troops to 'Nam, it wouldn't have happened.
Of course it wouldn't ... doesn't matter who recides in the White House young one when the war lobby starts doing their thing, and that group whispering "war" in the ear of the President also has generals in it ...

You guys have an entire industry that depends on the army being occupied ...
Did you have to go somewhere special to get that tinfoil hat fitted, or is it an off-the-shelf thing?

As for the "very few days of peace" comment: we just get all the press. I think we've been down this road before regarding military action since WW2...it's not a US-only show by any stretch.
Correct ... but the US is one of the few that has adjusted it's strike capability for anything other than defence of it's own territory since WW2.

And the hat is homemade after a drawing I downloaded from a US website
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
FEOS
+1,182|6434|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

Correct ... but the US is one of the few that has adjusted it's strike capability for anything other than defence of it's own territory since WW2.
Now you are indulging in self-delusion, Varegg. Any country with any kind of military capability has at least a modicum of power projection built in.

Varegg wrote:

And the hat is homemade after a drawing I downloaded from a US website
That's just what they want you to think.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Varegg
+2,206|6833|Nårvei

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Now you are indulging in self-delusion, Varegg. Any country with any kind of military capability has at least a modicum of power projection built in.
You know perfectly well what I mean ... it's not like we are talking defence + a little when it comes in handy ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
FEOS
+1,182|6434|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

You know perfectly well what I mean ... it's not like we are talking defence + a little when it comes in handy ...
That's because everyone else was perfectly happy to let the US shoulder the load during the Cold War...when that strike capability was "adjusted".
― Albert Einstein

Varegg
+2,206|6833|Nårvei

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

That's because everyone else was perfectly happy to let the US shoulder the load during the Cold War...when that strike capability was "adjusted".
And you claim I'm indulging in self-delusion
FEOS
+1,182|6434|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Can you prove my position to be incorrect?
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6129|eXtreme to the maX
Can you prove yours to be right?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-12-11 06:53:40)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
jord
+2,382|6701|The North, beyond the wall.
Quite.
FEOS
+1,182|6434|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Can you prove yours to be right?
Absolutely. It's called history.

Try reading it some time.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You're making an argument about history.
Just saying 'history' doesn't help.
FEOS
+1,182|6434|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

You're making an argument about history.
Just saying 'history' doesn't help.
When the entirety of that period of history proves my point, it most certainly does.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Which bits?
FEOS
+1,182|6434|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Which bits?
The ones concerning the Cold War (see previous post that you responded to).
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No, can't see it.

FEOS wrote:

Who was 'perfectly happy'?
I think most of us would have preferred not to have had a cold war between Russia and the US at all, when the prospect of all of us being vaporised in response to Cuba or a radar blip was pretty high.
FEOS
+1,182|6434|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

No, can't see it.

FEOS wrote:

Who was 'perfectly happy'?
I think most of us would have preferred not to have had a cold war between Russia and the US at all, when the prospect of all of us being vaporised in response to Cuba or a radar blip was pretty high.
You need to re-read what I posted.

I didn't say people were happy there was a Cold War.

Who was "perfectly happy"? All those "allies" who didn't have to spend fuckall because the US was shouldering the load...that's who.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But we did have to spend something, much more than if the US and Russia hadn't been in a spat.
FEOS
+1,182|6434|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

But we did have to spend something, much more than if the US and Russia hadn't been in a spat.
Since it was Winston Churchill who coined the phrase "Iron Curtain" and NATO formed in response to Russia's expansion...it wasn't just the "US and Russia...in a spat".

It was just the US and Russia bearing most of the burden.
― Albert Einstein

Varegg
+2,206|6833|Nårvei

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Since it was Winston Churchill who coined the phrase "Iron Curtain" and NATO formed in response to Russia's expansion...it wasn't just the "US and Russia...in a spat".

Aaaaand at the same time causing most of the burden tbh

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Your own need for a large millitary force and of course being one of the few that could muster any speakable force to be reackoned with I agree with you, you kind of inherited the British Empires legacy of being the biggest millitary force and both parties was happy with it ...

So no I can't prove you to be incorrect ... but you were hardly as alone as you seem to think ...
FEOS
+1,182|6434|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Aaaaand at the same time causing most of the burden tbh

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Your own need for a large millitary force and of course being one of the few that could muster any speakable force to be reackoned with I agree with you, you kind of inherited the British Empires legacy of being the biggest millitary force and both parties was happy with it ...

So no I can't prove you to be incorrect ... but you were hardly as alone as you seem to think ...
I didn't say we were alone...just well "backed up".
― Albert Einstein

Varegg
+2,206|6833|Nårvei

FEOS wrote:

I know ... it's just a tad pathetic how some Americans pound their chest and thinks they are the saviours of the free world
FEOS
+1,182|6434|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

I know ... it's just a tad pathetic how some Americans pound their chest and thinks they are the saviours of the free world
Didn't say that, did I?

The USSR imploding took care of that.

Now, if you look at a NATO vs Warsaw Pact conflict, what would the bulk of the forces be? US and Soviet. Even the collection of all the other players of the two alliances would not add up to the contributions of the two major players. That doesn't obviate the contributions of those others, but the contribution of those others certainly doesn't obviate the majority contributions, either.
― Albert Einstein

Varegg
+2,206|6833|Nårvei

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Didn't say that, did I?
Hence why I said some and not FEOS ...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6739

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Didn't say that, did I?

The USSR imploding took care of that.

Now, if you look at a NATO vs Warsaw Pact conflict, what would the bulk of the forces be? US and Soviet. Even the collection of all the other players of the two alliances would not add up to the contributions of the two major players. That doesn't obviate the contributions of those others, but the contribution of those others certainly doesn't obviate the majority contributions, either.
US spent more money on defending Europe than all NATO nations (besides US) combined...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FEOS
+1,182|6434|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Didn't say that, did I?
Hence why I said some and not FEOS ...
Sorry...not used to measured responses from euros WRT that sort of topic.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard