Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6141|eXtreme to the maX

1stSFOD-Delta wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Infantry is the best.
yeah it is. airborne, bitches

and you get to spend time on C-130s and C-17s, so it's kinda like being in the chair force too!!!
Air force don't get pushed out the back with the pallets though.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
rdx-fx
+955|6627

FEOS wrote:

If you join with the intent of becoming a General Officer, you likely won't make it. If you join with the intent to do the best job that you can--to take care of the troops you're charged with leading--you'll do OK.
THIS.

1000 times THIS.

Military does NOT need more star-seeking officers.

Take care of your subordinates, know your job, carry out your superiors orders with an 'unusual ability to succeed where others fail'
Rank will come.

One of the two best officers I've ever known;
Retired as a Colonel.  Three tours as an SF Captain in Viet Nam.  Far too outspoken, and too little tolerance for bullshit to make General.
Immigrated to the USA from the USSR as a small child, as I recall.
If any of his subordinates were not taking care of their troops and making mission, there was hell to pay.
Col Vladimir Sobichevsky

Last edited by rdx-fx (2009-12-05 03:13:55)

rdx-fx
+955|6627

Dilbert_X wrote:

Air force don't get pushed out the back with the pallets though.
Well, what kind of fun is that?

Boring as hell, if you ask me.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

rdx-fx wrote:

Why would you even want to be a General?
I can understand ambition etc but what do Generals really do other than brown-nose and hang around with politicians?
rdx-fx
+955|6627

Dilbert_X wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

I can understand ambition etc but what do Generals really do other than brown-nose and hang around with politicians?
I'm not completely sure.

It's like.. becoming a politician, the really hard way.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6446|'Murka

rdx-fx wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

I'm not completely sure.

From what I've witnessed, GOs put up with a lot more bullshit than your average officer, noncom, or enlisted troop. The shit screen starts at the top and by the time anything hits the bottom, it's just the bits of corn and peanut that made it through.

The biggest danger there is is a GO who doesn't have a mind like a steel trap. They have to have so much detail about so many different issues at their fingertips to make so many decisions in so little time...if they don't have a handle on the details, bad decisions will get made. If the GO isn't smart on something, it's often a combination of his staff not doing their job and/or him/her not being the right guy/girl for the job.

As for hanging around with politicians? The last place most of those GOs want to be is the Pentagon (where they are around politicians all the time). They want to be out in field commands, where politicians come through occasionally and where the GO gets to actually run things. That's not to say they don't have to deal with politics...it's just greatly reduced and they can focus on command.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

As for hanging around with politicians? The last place most of those GOs want to be is the Pentagon (where they are around politicians all the time). They want to be out in field commands, where politicians come through occasionally and where the GO gets to actually run things. That's not to say they don't have to deal with politics...it's just greatly reduced and they can focus on command.
Explains why they are always so keen to start wars I suppose.
FEOS
+1,182|6446|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Explains why they are always so keen to start wars I suppose.
Generals don't start wars...and aren't keen to do so.

Another shining example of ignorance.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Have wars started then, if you're going to be pedantic.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6845|Nårvei

From General to NCO in 8 posts
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
FEOS
+1,182|6446|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Have wars started then, if you're going to be pedantic.
Politicians start wars, not Generals.

Douglas MacArthur wrote:

I have known war as few men now living know it. It's very destructiveness on both friend and foe has rendered it useless as a means of settling international disputes.

Douglas MacArthur wrote:

It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it.

Douglas MacArthur wrote:

The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.

Robert E. Lee wrote:

It is well that war is so terrible. We should grow too fond of it.

Robert E. Lee wrote:

The war... was an unnecessary condition of affairs, and might have been avoided if forebearance and wisdom had been practiced on both sides.

Robert E. Lee wrote:

What a cruel thing war is... to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors.
Just a sample of some famous Generals' thoughts on war. For those who have had to see war first hand, it's not something to be pursued, but rather something to be avoided.

It's not being pedantic. It's being accurate. Try it sometime. You might find it refreshing.
― Albert Einstein

Varegg
+2,206|6845|Nårvei

It is kinda pedantic FEOS seeing you post wise words of famous generals and at the same time acknowledge that the US have very few days of peace since WW2 ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5737|College Park, MD

Varegg wrote:

It is kinda pedantic FEOS seeing you post wise words of famous generals and at the same time acknowledge that the US have very few days of peace since WW2 ...
Yes but those wars have all been started by politicians. If JFK and LBJ didn't give the orders to send troops to 'Nam, it wouldn't have happened.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Iconic Irony
Bare Back Rough Rider
+189|5311|San Angelo, TX
The best officers I ever had in the force were officers that were enlisted first, then went to OTS.  Unfortunatly for some reason, not a lot of them went on to great things for some reason.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5393|London, England

Iconic Irony wrote:

The best officers I ever had in the force were officers that were enlisted first, then went to OTS.  Unfortunatly for some reason, not a lot of them went on to great things for some reason.
Hausepipers care too much about their troops, that's why. They get emotionally attached and that's a serious weakness when you get higher in the ranks. They make fantastic company COs but anything above that... not so much.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Iconic Irony
Bare Back Rough Rider
+189|5311|San Angelo, TX

JohnG@lt wrote:

Iconic Irony wrote:

Hausepipers care too much about their troops, that's why. They get emotionally attached and that's a serious weakness when you get higher in the ranks. They make fantastic company COs but anything above that... not so much.
Yeah, CCO was about as high as any of them went.  I still find that hard to believe though about the glass ceiling of attachment.  Yes they were attached to the troops but they identified with the troops better and understood and related to their problems/weakenesses/strengths better than a regular officer.  In the end it seemed to me that they cut out a lot of the stupid redundant bullshit and got right to the problem and actually listened to us on the best way to resolve a complicated issue.  Regular officers always made everything into a inefficent bog of buerocracy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5393|London, England

Iconic Irony wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Iconic Irony wrote:

Yeah, CCO was about as high as any of them went.  I still find that hard to believe though about the glass ceiling of attachment.  Yes they were attached to the troops but they identified with the troops better and understood and related to their problems/weakenesses/strengths better than a regular officer.  In the end it seemed to me that they cut out a lot of the stupid redundant bullshit and got right to the problem and actually listened to us on the best way to resolve a complicated issue.  Regular officers always made everything into a inefficent bog of buerocracy.
Which is more threatening to a senior officer? They're more concerned with their own promotions than anything and having a high speed maverick on their staff that rocks the boat and could potentially shoot past them is not in their own best interest. No senior officer wants to look bad, that's why politics play such a large role in officer promotions. Yes, it's sad, and it's not right, but good luck changing it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6627

FEOS wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

From what I've witnessed, GOs put up with a lot more bullshit than your average officer, noncom, or enlisted troop. The shit screen starts at the top and by the time anything hits the bottom, it's just the bits of corn and peanut that made it through.

The biggest danger there is is a GO who doesn't have a mind like a steel trap. They have to have so much detail about so many different issues at their fingertips to make so many decisions in so little time...if they don't have a handle on the details, bad decisions will get made. If the GO isn't smart on something, it's often a combination of his staff not doing their job and/or him/her not being the right guy/girl for the job.

I was an Army NCO.  Air Force, having a higher number of officers in real work positions, may be different.

My perspective on the flow of bullshit is, "The shit starts as a fart from upon high, then picks up mass and velocity as it accelerates downwards".  The bits of corn and peanuts in there?  Just the additions of various "me" projects thrown in there, to advance the agenda and career of whichever officer the orders passed by on the way downhill.

The transition from gaseous fart and idea, into a solid pile of shit?
Einsteinian relativity, slightly modified for military use.
It's like the famous equation E=MC², but;

S=NR²
where
S = Shit Factor
N = Number of steps in the chain of command the order has passed through so far
R = Rank of the highest person issuing the order
examples;
Lt. Dan issues an order to Sgt. Lucky's squad, to go pick up a vehicle
N; 3, by the time the order has passed from (LT - PSG - Sqd Sgt - Privates)
R; 4² = 16, as Lt. Dan is the issuing officer
S= 48, not so bad, really

President Blowme, having not had a satisfactory blowjob yet today, issues an order for someone to go blow something up somewhere
N; 12 or so
R; 12² (CinC, Pentagon, Pentagon, Army, Corps, Division, Brigade, Battalion, Company, Platoon, Squad, Private)  Yes, the Pentagon is two layers - they're exceptionally good at adding an extra layer of bullshit to everything they touch.
S = 12 x 12 x 12 = 1728
Hence, an S-factor of 1728.  Anything above 100, and you should have a medic on standby, just in case.  Anything above 1000, and someone is probably going to get killed.  Anything above 1500, and you're in a job field where you probably cannot get life insurance.  Like, SF or "in-flight missile mechanic".

Officers get to shuffle paperwork, hone their Power Point skills, drink coffee and hold meetings.
On rare occassion, if they're truly hardcore, they might have their driver take them out to the field, where they get the chance to be within 100 feet of actual work getting done.  (Not really, though.  If it's anything Field Grade or above, their visit stops all real work, and it becomes a field-expedient parade ground dog-and-pony show).

° Note: The equivalence between higher officer & politician thought-energy (energy) and physical bullshit(mass) has other implications that are being ignored here.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2009-12-08 13:29:59)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

It's not being pedantic. It's being accurate. Try it sometime. You might find it refreshing.
You're the one who said Generals preferred to be out in the field directing troops compared with being stuck in the Pentagon.
For this they need politicians to start wars for them, presumably this is why Generals in peacetime are so gung-ho for war.
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6149|SC | USA |
A tremendous amount of ass kissing is involved with any rank.

Exactly why my dad got out at major.

I mean it's shit like going to the same church with your CO.

Or in the air force, playing multiple rounds of golf with him.

Now you know why I'm on the varsity golf team.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6184|'straya
Yeah since i'm going to ADFA next year (equivalent of West Point basically), i've been brushing up on my golf and asskissing skills.
Varegg
+2,206|6845|Nårvei

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Yes but those wars have all been started by politicians. If JFK and LBJ didn't give the orders to send troops to 'Nam, it wouldn't have happened.
Of course it wouldn't ... doesn't matter who recides in the White House young one when the war lobby starts doing their thing, and that group whispering "war" in the ear of the President also has generals in it ...

You guys have an entire industry that depends on the army being occupied ...
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6757|Sydney, Australia
rdx-fx, awesome post mate

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Yeah since i'm going to ADFA next year (equivalent of West Point basically), i've been brushing up on my golf and asskissing skills.
Ohh cool, what job are you going for?
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6184|'straya

mcminty wrote:

rdx-fx, awesome post mate

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Ohh cool, what job are you going for?
ATCO or ACO (got LOO's for both), RAAF, hopefully CDFSP

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2009-12-09 21:29:01)

FEOS
+1,182|6446|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

You're the one who said Generals preferred to be out in the field directing troops compared with being stuck in the Pentagon.
For this they need politicians to start wars for them, presumably this is why Generals in peacetime are so gung-ho for war.
And this post (again) reflects your utter ignorance in the topic at hand.

One can be leading troops without actually being involved in war. WTF do you think happens when troops aren't engaged in combat?
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard