Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I brought a banana back from Vancouver earlier this month.  The customs official inspected the banana.

A few years ago when I was coming back from South East Asia I had to cut open a mixed bag of spices i brought back to take out the kaffir lime because you can't bring citrus into California...something about protecting the citrus market here.

That being said, Jay does have a point regarding the grandstanding surrounding Doggiegate.  Then again, maybe Australian government has nothing better to do than convene senate hearings about celebs "smuggling" dogs into the country.
Or they're just following protocol and customs is doing their job and making an example of Depp that no one is above the law.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5366|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I brought a banana back from Vancouver earlier this month.  The customs official inspected the banana.

A few years ago when I was coming back from South East Asia I had to cut open a mixed bag of spices i brought back to take out the kaffir lime because you can't bring citrus into California...something about protecting the citrus market here.

That being said, Jay does have a point regarding the grandstanding surrounding Doggiegate.  Then again, maybe Australian government has nothing better to do than convene senate hearings about celebs "smuggling" dogs into the country.
Your silly state has its own customs agents at the border. I drove over when I was in Vegas just to say I'd been to california, saw the checkpoints and said nah.

And yeah, I understand the law I just don't understand the aussie need for political soap opera. I thought they were all too busy at the beach surfing or in the bush running from dingos and koalas

Last edited by Jay (2015-05-27 17:02:57)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3460
i think you're confusing the big deal the celeb-loving media are making out of it with the fuss given by the actual authorities.

they are just doing their job. depp isn't above their immigration or quarantine laws.

but of course a media organisation finds out the maximum sentence for this sort of offence and suddenly it's all

AUSTRALIA THREATENS DEPP WITH 11 YEARS SOLITARY IN TASMANIA

etc. i bet the american meedjuh are making a way bigger deal out of this brouhaha than the aussie officials.

Last edited by uziq (2015-05-27 17:09:00)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

This bullshit started from one media statement from the Agricultural minister.

No one in Australia is talking about it after 2 days. The minister went on The Project (news commentary show) the night after and that's about it.

You want to bring animals, follow customs procedure like everyone else. The US has the exact same rules Jay, stop being thick.

The max sentence for the crime is 10 years and I lol at anyone who honestly thinks Depp won't just get a fine.

Getting into a fight (affray) can lead someone to be charged with 10 years in prison. Funny enough, no one said that about James Packer when he got into a punch up with the head of a TV station here.

Last edited by Cybargs (2015-05-27 17:47:48)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6114|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

And yeah, I understand the law I just don't understand the aussie need for political soap opera. I thought they were all too busy at the beach surfing or in the bush running from dingos and koalas
Given that 'mericans spend all their time re-enacting the civil war or jigging around in cowboy outfits yelling 'yee-haw'  I'm surprised there's time to take in whats happening with a fading actor on the other side of the world. Nobody here has time for it.

The koala thing is true however.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Or they're just following protocol and customs is doing their job and making an example of Depp that no one is above the law.
Dude....they convened a senate hearing about this top urgent matter. It's a little over the top.  I's akin to when the Senate here started having hearings on steroids in baseball.  No one is saying it's a stupid law and they shouldn't follow protocol.  Do you think if it was a regular joe who lied/forgot about their declarations (hint, this happens all day every day) the Australian Senate would be talking about it?

I made no mention of the media sensationalism
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5366|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dude....they convened a senate hearing about this top urgent matter. It's a little over the top.  I's akin to when the Senate here started having hearings on steroids in baseball.  No one is saying it's a stupid law and they shouldn't follow protocol.  Do you think if it was a regular joe who lied/forgot about their declarations (hint, this happens all day every day) the Australian Senate would be talking about it?

Parading Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire in front of Congress was one of the most asinine wastes of time in American history.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3727
The baseball thing was pretty ridiculous but the government had a little bit of a point. Baseball and other big sports leagues lobby the government to spend state money on their stadium construction. They then ask the government to provide security at events and other perks that they shouldn't be getting. They gave the government the legitimacy to get into the details of their business at that point. If you think the government even needs legitimacy to regulate anything anyway.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

federal government vs. state.  Your argument falls flat.  However, the argument can be bolstered by the anti-trust exemption given to MLB by the federal government.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

The senate hearing wasn't determining whether or not Mr. Depp was guilty, they were inquiring how this happened and where the failures of customs came from. They're doing it so it won't happen again.

The only reason why there's an inquiry is because it's not like Johnny Depp rocked up to Brisbane Airport Customs and didn't declare his goods, he came on a private plane and there was a failure from inspection from customs. Maybe it was his celebrity status that Customs officials failed to thoroughly check him?

We take quarantine issues pretty seriously in Australia because diseases and other animals have wiped out a lot of our unique native animals.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5186|Sydney
On one hand he should never have brought his dogs without going through quarantine, on the other hand Barney is still a dick.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6631|Little Bentcock
I can never see your comments on facebook Jake, I go looking for them but never find them

Always the same type of posts though.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

The senate hearing wasn't determining whether or not Mr. Depp was guilty, they were inquiring how this happened and where the failures of customs came from. They're doing it so it won't happen again.

The only reason why there's an inquiry is because it's not like Johnny Depp rocked up to Brisbane Airport Customs and didn't declare his goods, he came on a private plane and there was a failure from inspection from customs. Maybe it was his celebrity status that Customs officials failed to thoroughly check him?

We take quarantine issues pretty seriously in Australia because diseases and other animals have wiped out a lot of our unique native animals.
So when you said they were following protocol and customs were doing their job in your initial response, you actually meant they didn't follow protocol and customs wasn't doing their job, right?
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6631|Little Bentcock
I think he landed his jet, his lady friend was getting a haircut and told the hairdresser, and the hairdressers husband was an official of some sort.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3727
And foreigners complain about our news and media being trashy and stupid...
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

So when you said they were following protocol and customs were doing their job in your initial response, you actually meant they didn't follow protocol and customs wasn't doing their job, right?
Sorry I meant to say Dept of Agriculture was doing their job and lower customs staff fucked it up by not inspecting depp.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

The officials at the airport failed to do their job - although they were lied to, had fraudulent documents presented to them etc, officials since then have been doing their job - come on Ken, its not difficult.

There's nothing wrong with the media here thanks.

https://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/02/12/1226268/925747-gday-bait.jpg

Now why is the FBI going nuts over FIFA when its not based there, and Americans don't give a shit about football?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6745|Oxferd Ohire
and australia loves fosters
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

The officials at the airport failed to do their job - although they were lied to, had fraudulent documents presented to them etc, officials since then have been doing their job - come on Ken, its not difficult.

There's nothing wrong with the media here thanks.

Now why is the FBI going nuts over FIFA when its not based there, and Americans don't give a shit about football?
because bribes happened on US soil, flowed through US banks and involved American officials?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
And yet Americans expect to travel to foreign countries, slaughter hundreds of thousands of innocent people, rape children, import their stupid dogs, and not have to suffer local justice.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5186|Sydney

Adams_BJ wrote:

I can never see your comments on facebook Jake, I go looking for them but never find them

Always the same type of posts though.
True.
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3968|SL,UT

Dilbert_X wrote:

And yet Americans expect to travel to foreign countries, slaughter hundreds of thousands of innocent people, rape children, import their stupid dogs, and not have to suffer local justice.
you have to be committed and volunteer to do that. i've been to foreign countries and only got a t-shirt . . .
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

yeah, we totally expect to slaughter hundreds of thousands of innocent people and rape children.  It's hard-coded into the worldwide manifest destiny taught to our children from an early age.  Also we hate cats.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well you do, would you like a list?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

Yeah, I guess I didn't get the memo when I went to indoctrination school.  Can you provide in bullet form please?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard