Ioan92
+337|5722

CanadianLoser wrote:

Metal-Eater-GR wrote:

What would it take to create a ring like that around earth?
possibly a collision with a large comet or another rocky planet.  It would inevitably spiral into the Earth eventually though, much like Saturn's rings will one day
False, centrifugal force will keep it in orbit much as we keep in orbit with the sun.

Otherwise we'd all fall into the sun!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Too bad having rings around our planet could potentially mess with the entire satellite system we have.
Or.. Idk .. the Moon?..lol

The Earth/Moon relationship is pretty unique with regards to relative size to each other. If you believe the giant impact hypothesis the Earth did have rings prior to the moon formation.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6365|California

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

Reminds me of a dream I've had once, that the earth had a massive artificial ring used as a force shield generator with the ring as the control node.

You could see the explosions from comets and asteroids crashing on the shield and instantly vaporizing. Along with seeing the huge artificial ring like in the video!

If that's a "normal dream" you must have epic dreams
hot damn i will dream something similar to that tonight hopefully, i need an epic dream for an epic sleep
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6191|Roma

Ioan92 wrote:

CanadianLoser wrote:

Metal-Eater-GR wrote:

What would it take to create a ring like that around earth?
possibly a collision with a large comet or another rocky planet.  It would inevitably spiral into the Earth eventually though, much like Saturn's rings will one day
False, centripetal force will keep it in orbit much as we keep in orbit with the sun.

Fixed

Edit: I think..

Last edited by PrivateVendetta (2009-11-23 08:41:21)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5473|Ventura, California

Random_Guy wrote:

Off topic - Ayres Rock? Shouldn't it be Uluru now because the Aboriginals wanted their original name used for it?
/facepalm

Those kind of things make me laugh.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5999|The Mitten

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

CanadianLoser wrote:

False, centripetal force will keep it in orbit much as we keep in orbit with the sun.

Fixed

Edit: I think..
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/centrifugal_force.png
EE (hats
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6191|Roma
Needs to be in a rotating system!

See...
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6222|Escea

Looks pretty slick.

Petition for Planetary Rings.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
Awesome, we should explode the moon.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
GR34
+215|6545|ALBERTA> CANADA
beautiful. +1
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

Awesome, we should explode the moon.
A ring of moonlets would destroy our eco system.. probably solve our population problem too. I'm with ya.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6595|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA

Kmarion wrote:

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Too bad having rings around our planet could potentially mess with the entire satellite system we have.

The Earth/Moon relationship is pretty unique with regards to relative size to each other. If you believe the giant impact hypothesis the Earth did have rings prior to the moon formation.
well i am assuming that we still have the moon as well as rings. So, the tiny rocks in the rings would clash with our satellites.
firebolt5
+114|6155
Imagine if Earth had rings and someone made a video to see what Earth would like look without rings.  "Whoa, weird!"
Nice video though.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

seymorebutts443 wrote:

well i am assuming that we still have the moon as well as rings. So, the tiny rocks in the rings would clash with our satellites.
It would be weird to say the least. No known ringed planet has a moon over 1/4 the size of the host planet.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Brasso
+1,549|6630

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Miggle wrote:

hitman?

That's what I thought!
i love that song and game <3
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

haffeysucks wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Miggle wrote:

hitman?

That's what I thought!
but the movie was pretty lame tbh
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

AussieReaper wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

That's what I thought!
but the movie was pretty lame tbh
I was suckered into buying it on bd.

no, it was not that great
Xbone Stormsurgezz
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Saturn's rings are made of rock and ice right?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

and dust
Xbone Stormsurgezz
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6595|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA

Kmarion wrote:

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

It would be weird to say the least. No known ringed planet has a moon over 1/4 the size of the host planet.
hypothetically it would be a first. It would also make getting off the planet extremely dangerous. However theoretically our major domo's in the space race would develop some very nice armor plating to help deal with the particles striking their spacecraft at 30,000 MPH.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Instead of escaping the atmosphere going east we would probably exit over the poles. It would be very difficult. Right now we try to maximize our equatorial boost launching near the equator.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6446|Chicago, IL
do want

it'd ruin our sattelite orbits though, or at least punch holes in their solar panels
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

S.Lythberg wrote:

do want

it'd ruin our sattelite orbits though, or at least punch holes in their solar panels
So no international phone calls and internet but we'll have epic rocks that could fall onto us and kill us.

Sounds like a good trade!
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6473|6 6 4 oh, I forget

-Sh1fty- wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

do want

So no international phone calls and internet but we'll have epic rocks that could fall onto us and kill us.

Sounds like a good trade!
Internets are on the ground.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard