m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6712|UK
stay classy reps

https://s2.buzzfeed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2009/9/12/19/stay-classy-teabaggers-24661-1252798589-24.jpg
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5626

Bury Obama with Kennedy
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6486|The Land of Scott Walker
Meh, Dem made a pic of Obama as Hitler ...
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6699|BC, Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Bernadictus wrote:

Why do they always make themselves look stupider than possible? Is a big percentage of the Reps' actually that hillbilly/stupid?
And why aren't the sensible ones voicing themselves? Or are they all as dumb as they look when I see press photographs.

Or are am I just being a silly European?
Because they pick out the stupids in the crowd and make them the story. Rational people aren't newsworthy.
this
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6578|Long Island, New York
The side who doesn't have their man in office is always worse.

Obviously, with a 60-40 Dem majority and a Dem president, it's the Republicans. Though I never expected it this bad. Really, not wanting the President to talk to your kids?
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6263|Brisneyland

Bern wrote:

Why do they always make themselves look stupider than possible? Is a big percentage of the Reps' actually that hillbilly/stupid?
Yes to the second question.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6589|San Diego, CA, USA
Us Conservatives should not strive to get validation from the mainstream media, we will always be disappointed.  We need to learn from the vocal left on how to organize and turn out for elections.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6147|eXtreme to the maX
Is a big percentage of the Reps' actually that hillbilly/stupid?
Given that Bush Jr got the Republican nomination, followed by Palin, they must be.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6641|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

Is a big percentage of the Reps' actually that hillbilly/stupid?
Given that Bush Jr got the Republican nomination, followed by Palin, they must be.
The people running the party were obviously wrong with the Palin pick. This should have been obvious for you. .. or did you just not see the margin of victory?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The Republican party picked Palin -> proves my point.
Who won the election is irrelevant.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6641|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

The Republican party picked Palin -> proves my point.
Who won the election is irrelevant.
An incredibly simple minded conclusion.

The party leaders sold out to the religious right. They are the ones who select the VP nominee, not the GOP majority. This was an incredibly stupid thing to do since the primaries were over. If anything you should be shifting towards the center in order to secure the on the fence votes. The GOP leadership and it's decision was is not indicative of the desire the majority of people who still call themselves Republicans. The election results are relevant. It represents a message from the party members to change or fade away into irrelevance. This is what you do when your views are no longer represented.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It was a stupid thing to do, but they must have had a reason to do so.
Presumably they thought they would maximise their votes by appealing to as many people as possible.
If the party leaders decided to appeal to the religious right and ignorant rednecks they must have had some data to go on.

The election was very close, I'd say it was because the smartest 5% of Republicans switched to the Democrats, leaving Palin and her ignorant redneck powerbase behind

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-09-15 00:02:22)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6641|132 and Bush

One reason was to counter Obama's "fresh new face" approach to Washington. To bad she wasn't properly vetted . I'd say it was much more than 5%. Obama won 52% of the popular vote and yet the majority of the country still identifies themselves as conservative. Keep in mind that these are people who went so far as to cross party lines. Unfortunately there are many who still vote the party line, even after vocalizing their "wtf is my party doing nominating Palin?". Some of them tried to turn it into a good thing but that was only because they REALLY didn't want Barry. Their discontent with the decision was evident.. and tbh the choice still mesmerizes many of them.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Many people outside the US would describe both Republicans and Democrats as 'conservative'.
Democrats  - Conservative
Republicans - Cast in Concrete Conservative (except when it comes to finding new and dubious ways of making money)

It was pretty mesmerising for the rest of the world to see the McCain/Palin trainwreck - and also just how close they came to being elected.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-09-15 01:09:53)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6641|132 and Bush

No, I do not find Obama to be conservative.. didn't really find GWB to be conservative neither.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think the world is changing too fast for conservatism to be useful.
Never seen a use for the Republicans TBH.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6641|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

The need for smaller government is probably something you can't directly relate to. There are notable difference between the US when it comes to population size and diversity. I'm not against administration at the state level. I just feel the federal level should be minimum.. the common defense, defending personal/human rights etc.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Oh great, another patronising comment.
Why wouldn't I understand the need for less government?

Most Euros are against the EU government - a totally unnecessary layer of bureaucracy.
In Aus we could live without Canberra or the state govts pretty easily - as far as I can tell neither do much.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6420|MN

Dilbert_X wrote:

Why wouldn't I understand the need for less government?

Most Euros are against the EU government - a totally unnecessary layer of bureaucracy.
In Aus we could live without Canberra or the state govts pretty easily - as far as I can tell neither do much.
So any threads/posts knocking big government here in the US will get your approval then.  Thanks for the support.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6452|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Welcome to our world.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So any threads/posts knocking big government here in the US will get your approval then.  Thanks for the support.
No, I think Americans deserve big government

Anyway, I don't feel the need to mindlessly follow a particular eg Republican, doctrine, 'big govt=bad, guns=good, abortion=bad' etc.
I'll deal with it case by case kthx.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-09-15 04:30:31)

LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6420|MN
Not following any doctine here.

I have addressed each of those subjects with a fairly open mind and have based my views on them on my experiences, morals, beliefs, and voodoo dolls. 

I must have a fairly open mind, I have agreed with you a couple times. 
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5399|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well, it's a good thing you don't live in this country then eh? Do we sit around discussing your countries political system? No. You don't know dick about American politics so stop posting like you do. I've gotten sick of reading posts by Europeans and Aussies talking shit on a daily basis about the country I live in. GFY seriously. I'm probably the least patriotic war vet in history and you're making ME defensive.

You didn't like Bush. Who gives a fuck, he wasn't your President. I don't like Obama. Still doesn't have any impact on your life. There are far too many sniveling liberals on this board who lament on a daily basis that the US isn't exactly like their own country, like we're missing out. When you can maintain our economy and our quality of life that doesn't involve giving 50%+ of their hard earned paycheck to people in government who are going to squander it, then we'll talk. Until then, enjoy being jealous bitches that sit back and talk shit, because that's all you CAN do.

Hell, you don't even know what it means to be conservative in this country anyway. All you see is the minority of Christian conservatives and think they are the majority. In this country if you believe in what Thomas Jeffersons writings said about government, or if you believe in what George Washington's farewell address said, you're a conservative. It doesn't matter that their writings would be extremely 'liberal' and 'radical' by todays standards. Their writings happen to be older than the writings of Marx and Engel so that makes us Conservative and the opposite side Liberal. There's more to it but you fail to grasp how stupid and meaningless labels are in American politics.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2009-09-15 05:40:39)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6194|what

JohnG@lt wrote:

When you can maintain our economy and our quality of life that doesn't involve giving 50%+ of their hard earned paycheck to people in government who are going to squander it, then we'll talk.
I laughed out loud!
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5399|London, England

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

When you can maintain our economy and our quality of life that doesn't involve giving 50%+ of their hard earned paycheck to people in government who are going to squander it, then we'll talk.
I laughed out loud!
Cool. What percentage of your economy is based on shepherding? That's lucrative. Your biggest export is a beer you don't even drink. Cool.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard