Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6836

Kmarion wrote:

I maintain that the real problem is derived from another person, or group of persons telling you how to interpret the message.
then someone had to have interpreted it in that way to start with, right?

is it such a stretch to extrapolate that the same would happen sans organized religion?

the magnitude of the problem might be smaller, but that's not the point here.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6617|132 and Bush

Krappyappy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I maintain that the real problem is derived from another person, or group of persons telling you how to interpret the message.
then someone had to have interpreted it in that way to start with, right?

is it such a stretch to extrapolate that the same would happen sans organized religion?

the magnitude of the problem might be smaller, but that's not the point here.
Yes, most likely a person seeking power. This is not to say that the majority would find this to be the case otherwise. If it weren't for congregation the degree of misinterpretation would not be nearly as bad. It is when someone takes part of something, usually out of historical context, and tries to commit a larger population to follow their own misguidings that we have a problem.

The magnitude of the problem IS important.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6545|Global Command
Greed and money have killed more and caused more wars than religion.

It's a fact because I say so.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6534|Montucky

ATG wrote:

Greed and money have killed more and caused more wars than religion.

It's a fact because I say so.
Okay there CamPo
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6836

Kmarion wrote:

Yes, most likely a person seeking power. This is not to say that the majority would find this to be the case otherwise. If it weren't for congregation the degree of misinterpretation would not be nearly as bad. It is when someone takes part of something, usually out of historical context, and tries to commit a larger population to follow their own misguidings that we have a problem.

we are really quibbling over minutia. i say that judeo-christian religions, as they exist in the the world today and in the past, are all religions of violence.

you seem to agree with that assessment.

this debate on how organized worship catalyzes the violence inherent in religion is a digression which, though interesting, is not the point of this thread.

i just wanted to highlight the ignorance in proclaiming islam a religion of violence while conveniently leaving out the other two.

Last edited by Krappyappy (2009-08-09 19:28:54)

ATG
Banned
Again Champ, we are talking about current events, or past grievances?

If it is the past, all we can do is say " sorry 'bout that, " and move forward.

It's odd; for me, I am becoming at the same time open to The Word, and more and more despising of religion and the ills it has brought to the world.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6836

ATG wrote:

It's odd; for me, I am becoming at the same time open to The Word, and more and more despising of religion and the ills it has brought to the world.
well when someone says 'islam is a religion of violence' i take it to refer to the religion as an ideological entity, which would include everything associated with it past and present.

again i quote scripture

ezekial 35:4 wrote:

I will lay thy cities waste, and thou shalt be desolate, and thou shalt know that I am the LORD.
modern christians still worship this. christianity doesn't get a free pass just because the deaths it caused happen to lie in the past. it's still causing plenty of death and destruction today.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6617|132 and Bush

Krappyappy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

we are really quibbling over minutia. i say that judeo-christian religions, as they exist in the the world today and in the past, are all religions of violence.

you seem to agree with that assessment.

this debate on how organized worship catalyzes the violence inherent in religion is a digression which, though interesting, is not the point of this thread.

i just wanted to highlight the ignorance in proclaiming islam a religion of violence while conveniently leaving out the other two.
The reason for understanding the degree is important.. especially if you are doing a comparison between Islam and Christianity. You have also chosen to ignore the countless christian organizations working to improve the lives of millions in this world. Christianity is not the same as it was in the past. That is a ridiculous assertion. Islam is currently getting more attention because of the relatively recent (large scale attacks) done in Madrid, London, and NY.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned

Krappyappy wrote:

ATG wrote:

well when someone says 'islam is a religion of violence' i take it to refer to the religion as an ideological entity, which would include everything associated with it past and present.

again i quote scripture

I will lay thy cities waste, and thou shalt be desolate, and thou shalt know that I am the LORD.
modern christians still worship this. christianity doesn't get a free pass just because the deaths it caused happen to lie in the past. it's still causing plenty of death and destruction today.
Bah, Christians are not laying waste to cities atm, or cutting the heads off Muslims.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6617|132 and Bush

Krappyappy wrote:

ATG wrote:

again i quote scripture

"So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for
       this is the law and the prophets." (Matthew 7:12 RSV)

"And as you wish that men would do to you, do so to them."
        (Luke 6:31 RSV)

What's your point? Haven't we established by now it's a matter of interpretation?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6836
this sums up my point nicely.

https://skepticsannotatedbible.com/images/religion_peaceful.gif

i am making a moral equivalence of islam and christianity.

christianity is the same religion it ever was. what's changed is the underlying culture of the west independent of religion [human rights, etc]. however, it is still the same murderous tool that leaders use to galvanize their people it always was, no matter how we quibble over the headlines that islam generates today.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6836

ATG wrote:

Bah, Christians are not laying waste to cities atm, or cutting the heads off Muslims.
https://www.bestcyrano.org/IMG/FACE_WAR/albumfow/iraqiHeadShot2.jpg

close enough.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6617|132 and Bush

No, the vast majority of modern Christian worship the new testament. You're quoting the old. Maybe look at the whole book? .. like the most recent stuff?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6836

Kmarion wrote:

No, the vast majority of modern Christian worship the new testament. You're quoting the old. Maybe look at the whole book? .. like the most recent stuff?
fine.

bible wrote:

I say to you that to everyone who has, more shall be given, but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away.  As for my enemies who do not want me to reign over them, bring them here and kill them in my presence" (Luke 19:26-27).

"Do not think that I have come to send peace on Earth.  I did not come to send peace, but a sword." (Matthew 10:34-35).
i think what you mean by 'interpretation' is 'willfully ignore.' i don't deny that many christians don't lead violent lives. but they are also not adhering to the word of god.

many muslims do the same.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6617|132 and Bush

Krappyappy wrote:

i don't deny that many christians don't lead violent lives. but they are also not adhering to the word of god.

many muslims do the same.
I agree.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6667|USA

Krappyappy wrote:

we get a lot of posts in here as to how islam is a religion of violence, which is true to some extent.

however all three of the judeo-christian religions are rooted in violence, and it's amusing to see the willful omission and therefore underlying implications espoused by certain elements in these forums.

the bible wrote:

When my angel goes in front of you, and brings you to the Amorites ... you shall not bow down to their gods ... but utterly demolish them and break their pillars in pieces.... Little by little I will drive them out from before you, until you have increased and possess the land (Ex 23:23-33).

But as for the towns of these peoples that the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, you must not let anything that breathes remain alive. You shall annihilate them - the Hittites and the Amorites, the Canaanites ... - just as the Lord your God has commanded (Deut 20:16-17)

They did battle against Midian, as the Lord had commanded Moses, and killed every male (Num 31:7)

when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. (2 Thess 1:7-8)

[Christ will destroy] every ruler and every authority and power. For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet (1 Cor 15:25)
and so on and so forth.

judeo-christian religions are poison, islam is not an exception so much as the norm.
Get back with us when you use the teachings of CHRIST to show how violent CHRISTians are. Christ's teachings and actions are not in line with the violent acts committed in his name. Unfortunately, Mohammed's teachings and actions are very much in line with those acts committed in the name of Islam. Now you know the difference.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6836

lowing wrote:

Get back with us when you use the teachings of CHRIST to show how violent CHRISTians are. Christ's teachings and actions are not in line with the violent acts committed in his name. Unfortunately, Mohammed's teachings and actions are very much in line with those acts committed in the name of Islam. Now you know the difference.
get back with me when you've read the thread.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6667|USA

Krappyappy wrote:

lowing wrote:

get back with me when you've read the thread.
I am not responding to the thread, I am responding to your post. Kinda why I quoted it. So feel freee to deny or debunk my response to your OP
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6836
i have shown throughout this thread how christ's teachings have been used to commit acts of violence. you are special, but not special enough to warrant repeating myself.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6667|USA

Krappyappy wrote:

i have shown throughout this thread how christ's teachings have been used to commit acts of violence. you are special, but not special enough to warrant repeating myself.
I did not say they weren't. In fact I thought I acknowledged it, but His teachings were not of violence and intolerance and thus can not be held accountable for the warped actions they were twisted into justifying.

The same CAN NOT be said for the actions and teachings of Muhammad. Hence the difference.

I do appreciate however, you regarding me as special.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6836

lowing wrote:

but His teachings were not of violence and intolerance
ignorant lowing is ignorant.
and reading-handicapped.

Krappyappy wrote:

the bible wrote:

when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. (2 Thess 1:7-8)

[Christ will destroy] every ruler and every authority and power. For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet (1 Cor 15:25)

I say to you that to everyone who has, more shall be given, but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away.  As for my enemies who do not want me to reign over them, bring them here and kill them in my presence" (Luke 19:26-27).

"Do not think that I have come to send peace on Earth.  I did not come to send peace, but a sword." (Matthew 10:34-35)
plenty more where those came from. don't pretend that christianity is all lovey dovey turn the other cheek. there is no 'twisting' necessary, only a literal interpretation.
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5627|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

Krappyappy wrote:

lowing wrote:

but His teachings were not of violence and intolerance
ignorant lowing is ignorant.
and reading-handicapped.

Krappyappy wrote:

the bible wrote:

"Do not think that I have come to send peace on Earth.  I did not come to send peace, but a sword." (Matthew 10:34-35)
plenty more where those came from. don't pretend that christianity is all lovey dovey turn the other cheek. there is no 'twisting' necessary, only a literal interpretation.
Corinthians and Thessalonians are not the teachings of Christ, but the teachings of Paul.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6123|Birmingham, UK

Kmarion wrote:

Krappyappy wrote:

the colonization of both americas is an astronomical 100+ million, depending on how you add up the figures.[/url]
Really? .. and this is all the cause of Christianity? Queen Isabella's pigs killed more natives than the cross did.
I think he meant that the religion of the Empires were Christian?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6617|132 and Bush

SEREVENT wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Krappyappy wrote:

the colonization of both americas is an astronomical 100+ million, depending on how you add up the figures.[/url]
Really? .. and this is all the cause of Christianity? Queen Isabella's pigs killed more natives than the cross did.
I think he meant that the religion of the Empires were Christian?
I can tell you that it is a well known fact that Queen Isabella (and other leaders) sponsored the colonization of the Americas on the promise of new found wealth and power.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6701|United States of America
Say that it is a religion of violence and everything you've said is true, Krappy. What are we supposed to do about it?
/devilsadvocate

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard