Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6571|San Diego, CA, USA
http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=usu … yment+rate

For June 2009 Google is saying 9.7% but Obama is saying 9.4%:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32327533/ns … d_economy/

Ok is Obama fudging the number to make a decrease of 0.1% from the previous month or is Google misreporting the number?

Last edited by Harmor (2009-08-08 11:18:03)

jsnipy
+3,276|6545|...

margin of error?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6704|Disaster Free Zone
Because unemployment insurance records relate only to persons who have applied for such benefits, and since it is impractical to actually count every unemployed person each month, the Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country....There are about 60,000 households in the sample for this survey. This translates into approximately 110,000 individuals
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

Well google says the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics is their source and on it's website it says 9.4 percent. It would seem google is behind.
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ghettoperson
+1,943|6672

Also; who really cares? I don't think in the general scheme of things Americans give a fuck if it's 9.7 or 9.4. Talk about making an issue out of nothing.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6551|Global Command
Being unemployed and collecting benefits is far more attractive than being self employed and having no work.

The only upside is earning potential. But, potential doesn't taste good.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

ghettoperson wrote:

Also; who really cares? I don't think in the general scheme of things Americans give a fuck if it's 9.7 or 9.4. Talk about making an issue out of nothing.
If it is a reversing trend I do care. I'd of course like to see more than a month decline though..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6560|Long Island, New York

Kmarion wrote:

Well google says the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics is their source and on it's website it says 9.4 percent. It would seem google is behind.
And that this was another desperate attempt by Harmor to find something, if not the most asinine thing, to criticize Obama about.
CC-Marley
+407|6851

Poseidon wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

And that this was another desperate attempt by Harmor to find something, if not the most asinine thing, to criticize Obama about.
Shoes on the other foot.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
ghettoperson
+1,943|6672

So which of your many articles are we meant to believe?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5608

Underemployment is still a major issue too you know. I like how that number is being ignored.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6697|Canberra, AUS
Deeply flawed. You can't change the rules of the game halfway through then say the results are fair.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

Deeply flawed. You can't change the rules of the game halfway through then say the results are fair.
Precisely.. in order to truly gauge unemployment the method must be consistent. It's more important than the actual number. This is the only way to get a real handle on the trends.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
I agree with you. 

I find it odd that we loose 250,000 jobs yet the unemployment rate goes DOWN 0.1%.  We should be using the real number from the get go, which actually went down 0.2% from 16.5% to 16.3%.

Now we all know that if this was a Republican presidency that these numbers would had rubbed in their faces and all over the news.

What's interesting is that all this positive propaganda is actually helping the economy out - gives people a higher consumer confidence I would think?

I wonder how much of the Consumer Price Index is based on which party controls the White House???

Last edited by Harmor (2009-08-09 19:37:27)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6175|what

Measuring unemployment is never accurate. It doesn't consider you unemployed if you work 1 hour per week, and it doesn't consider you unemployed if you are not actively seeking work, but still want it. Of course the numbers are going to be different depending on which estimate you look at.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

Harmor wrote:

I agree with you. 

I find it odd that we loose 250,000 jobs yet the unemployment rate goes DOWN 0.1%.  We should be using the real number from the get go, which actually went down 0.2% from 16.5% to 16.3%.
This is probably a result of hiring? Hiring faster than we are losing.. a (very small) net difference?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6697|Canberra, AUS

Harmor wrote:

I agree with you. 

Now we all know that if this was a Republican presidency that these numbers would had rubbed in their faces and all over the news.

What's interesting is that all this positive propaganda is actually helping the economy out - gives people a higher consumer confidence I would think?

I wonder how much of the Consumer Price Index is based on which party controls the White House???
It just means that you're getting them faster than you're losing them.

And if the CPI is "biased" for propaganda (how can it be? It's not a paticularly complicated index, unless the BLS is deliberately altering the weightings) then you have a serious problem that goes way, way deeper than anything else discussed here. That number is probably the second or third most important in the whole economy.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
beerface702
+65|6715|las vegas
the U-3 scale, the one you hear about is what 9.5? now

there are several other scales BLS (bureau of Labor) repots U-6 scale :Part time workers who want to work full time, but cannot due to economic reasons. @ 16.8 % last time i checked, its been a while

there is another scale that sheds more light called SGS scale. And that is at 21% or so

it was a scale from the 90's

https://www.shadowstats.com/imgs/sgs-emp.gif

things seem to finally be stabilizing somewhat at least. Hopefully it wont go much higher, and just stagnate.

U-3 counts people who just collected unemployment, dont forget that!

check out http://www.shadowstats.com

or BLS.gov  the real numbers are buried in BLS

Last edited by beerface702 (2009-08-10 04:17:41)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6704|Disaster Free Zone

Harmor wrote:

I agree with you. 

Early this year, employed people in Australia increased by about 40,000 but unemployment also went up, it goes both ways.

And lol at CPI conspiracy... do you even know how its measured?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard