Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Real big.
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 … mpact.html
https://i36.tinypic.com/alnt5e.jpg

https://i38.tinypic.com/23k9sb6.jpg

This image shows a large impact shown on the bottom left
on Jupiter's south polar region captured on July 20, 2009, by NASA's
Infrared Telescope Facility in Mauna Kea, Hawaii.
Credit: NASA/JPL/Infrared Telescope Facility

"We were extremely lucky to be seeing Jupiter at exactly the right time, the right hour, the right side of Jupiter to witness the event. We couldn't have planned it better," said Glenn Orton, a scientist at JPL.

Orton and his team of astronomers kicked into gear early in the morning and haven't stopped tracking the planet. They are downloading data now and are working to get additional observing time on this and other telescopes.

This image was taken at 1.65 microns, a wavelength sensitive to sunlight reflected from high in Jupiter's atmosphere, and it shows both the bright center of the scar (bottom left) and the debris to its northwest (upper left).

"It could be the impact of a comet, but we don't know for sure yet," said Orton. "It's been a whirlwind of a day, and this on the anniversary of the Shoemaker-Levy 9 and Apollo anniversaries is amazing."
https://i36.tinypic.com/245ng37.jpg
Full story

Nice timing.. Shoemaker-Levy anniversary
Xbone Stormsurgezz
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6633|Finland

It's a good thing we've got something as big as Jupiter in our solar system to take the hits for us little planets.
I need around tree fiddy.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6675|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
What did he just say?

'This one blast cloud is the size of the Earth'.

Fucking hell no wonder I don't understand the solar system and all that.  In fact I dont even like sci-fi.

And if I turn out like them ugly people crowded around the pc screen best I stay away from it aswell.

How you can you be expected to understand and appriciate it all?  Fair play to the people that do.  But its way above my head (no pun intended)
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Jupiter is our solar systems Vaccum cleaner (as Mr.DonFck just pointed out). It's actually hit quite a bit. Shoemaker-Levy was the first time we've ever been able to predict and witness an impact. Yesterday's impact was viewed by chance.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Kmarion wrote:

Jupiter is our solar systems Vaccum cleaner (as Mr.DonFck just pointed out). It's actually hit quite a bit. Shoemaker-Levy was the first time we've ever been able to predict and witness an impact. Yesterday's impact was viewed by chance.
Why do things get attracted to that then?  Is the Gravity there slightly differen't?  Have I just been a cock, ie, due to space there is no gravity or something.  I really am a spacka when it comes to space things.

I used to think this is real, but it isnt is it?  Id be dis respectful to embed it so I won't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aklnAXYXTGI

oh shit, another one only this time it looks real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EydCq3It5I8&NR=1

Last edited by 1927 (2009-07-21 01:06:21)

Ioan92
+337|5724

1927 wrote:

What did he just say?

'This one blast cloud is the size of the Earth'.

Fucking hell no wonder I don't understand the solar system and all that.  In fact I dont even like sci-fi.

And if I turn out like them ugly people crowded around the pc screen best I stay away from it aswell.

How you can you be expected to understand and appriciate it all?  Fair play to the people that do.  But its way above my head (no pun intended)
What the hell is hard to understand?

That spot is as big as earth, get it now?

Why do things get attracted to that then?  Is the Gravity there slightly differen't?  Have I just been a cock, ie, due to space there is no gravity or something.  I really am a spacka when it comes to space things.

I used to think this is real, but it isnt is it?  Id be dis respectful to embed it so I won't.
Did they not teach you about space basics at school?

The bigger the object is, the more pressure it puts on the space time fabric, black holes are rips in the fabric and white holes are supposed to be the inverse... lemme make a drawing for you....

https://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4052/watzgb.jpg

Last edited by Ioan92 (2009-07-21 01:24:20)

Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon

1927 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

big planet=assload of gravity

Reciprocity wrote:

1927 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

big planet=assload of gravity
Ahhh so I could be right.

Obviously if its surface is bigger theres more chance of a Asteroid hitting it, but it has a bigger gravity force so the Asteroid gets pulled towards it more anyway.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Size and location. The Asteroid belt is located between Mars and Jupiter.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Kmarion wrote:

Asteroid Belt.  I fully believe you but why the fuck do they travel along some kind of space highway?  Dont they wonder off in all directions?  If so wherever they stop/get stopped must be bashed to fuck by now.

Ive seen shooting stars twice, are they asteroids?  I think I saw Haley's comet as a kid.
Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon

1927 wrote:

Obviously if its surface is bigger theres more chance of a Asteroid hitting it, but it has a bigger gravity force so the Asteroid gets pulled towards it more anyway.
the only object larger than jupiter in our solar system is the sun.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

1927 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Asteroid Belt.  I fully believe you but why the fuck do they travel along some kind of space highway?  Dont they wonder off in all directions?  If so wherever they stop/get stopped must be bashed to fuck by now.

Ive seen shooting stars twice, are they asteroids?  I think I saw Haley's comet as a kid.
The belt is left overs from the formation of our solar system. At one point is was very chaotic, celestial bodies slamming into each other like a pinball machine. Eventually things settled down and these objects began to orbit our sun.

Our moon was most likely formed by a mars sized impact with the earth.

Yes a shooting star is a meteor. Next month we should have a good show.
http://meteorshowersonline.com/perseids.html
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6475|6 6 4 oh, I forget

It's either The Event Horizon or Babylon 4 that crashed there

Kmarion wrote:

1927 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

The belt is left overs from the formation of our solar system. At one point is was very chaotic, celestial bodies slamming into each other like a pinball machine. Eventually things settled down and these objects began to orbit our sun.

Yes shooting star are meteors. Next month we should have a good show.
The Moon is perfectly round isnt it?  Are you saying it was joined onto the earth, or it got split in half and you now got Moon and Earth?  Why is the Moon perfectly round as if its been shaped and formed with the love that a carpenter could give a block of wood?

Am I doing ya head in, I didnt mean to de rail your thread from the original bit, Im scrathing my head sat here trying to understand it.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

This is a free open source program:
http://www.stellarium.org/
It's very good.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

1927 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

1927 wrote:

Yes shooting star are meteors. Next month we should have a good show.
The Moon is perfectly round isnt it?  Are you saying it was joined onto the earth, or it got split in half and you now got Moon and Earth?  Why is the Moon perfectly round as if its been shaped and formed with the love that a carpenter could give a block of wood?

Am I doing ya head in, I didnt mean to de rail your thread from the original bit, Im scrathing my head sat here trying to understand it.
The debris from the explosion orbited the Earth and eventually coagulated(sp). .. due to gravity.

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Well I watched and listened word for word but imo the narrator hit the nail on the head after 30 seconds.  'Fiction Maybe', he then went on to talk about the things as if it was guaranteed facts.  How the fuck can they be so sure no matter how much money the spend looking into it.  How can they tell what collided with what.  Its just opinions isnt it?

Whoever, gave me anon Karma, yes I will go and have a look and see what its all about, dosent take much to blow my mind though.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

They are theories based on evidence. Consider that these events happened billions of years ago. Earth and it's moon is unique in their relative size to each other. Our moon is large. Most moons (satellites) are simply objects that have gotten caught in the gravitational pull of it's host planet, and they are not perfectly round. They are small in comparison to the planets they orbit. The moon is round the same reason our sun is round.

Reciprocity wrote:

1927 wrote:

Have you heard of the Nemesis Star theory? Technically it would be in our solar system .. but yea, theory.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Kmarion wrote:

They are theories based on evidence. Consider that these events happened billions of years ago. Earth and it's moon is unique in their relative size to each other. Our moon is large. Most moons (satellites) are simply objects that have gotten caught in the gravitational pull of it's host planet. They are small in comparison to the planets they orbit.

Reciprocity wrote:

1927 wrote:

Have you heard of the Nemesis Star theory? Technically it would be in our solar system .. but yea, theory.
The only reason I accepted that their were Dinos once when I was told as a little boy was the proof: Fossils and rock prints etc, how can you argue with that.

But how can the experts provide evidence of all this?

No I havent heard of Nemesis star theory.  I did go and have a look at Wiki just now but didnt understand what they were on about other than the size of the star thing they were on about.  In proportion its fucking huge.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

1927 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

They are theories based on evidence. Consider that these events happened billions of years ago. Earth and it's moon is unique in their relative size to each other. Our moon is large. Most moons (satellites) are simply objects that have gotten caught in the gravitational pull of it's host planet. They are small in comparison to the planets they orbit.

Reciprocity wrote:

The only reason I accepted that their were Dinos once when I was told as a little boy was the proof: Fossils and rock prints etc, how can you argue with that.

No I havent heard of Nemesis star theory.  I did go and have a look at Wiki just now but didnt understand what they were on about other than the size of the star thing they were on about.  In proportion its fucking huge.
They themselves do not claim it as scientific fact (you yourself noted that.) It is however, the most logical explanation from what we know of the cosmos and the laws of physics. If you watch the entire movie you will see how they ran simulations and the results it yielded. I appreciate your skepticism, but there is no way of replicating that experiment on a large scale, and until another more logical explanation comes along this is the leading theory.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Kmarion wrote:

1927 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

They themselves do not claim it as scientific fact. It is however, the most logical explanation from what we know of the cosmos and the laws of physics. If you watch the entire movie you will see how they ran simulations and the results it yielded. I appreciate your skepticism, but there is no way of replicating an experiment on a large scale, and until another more logical explanation comes along this is the leading theory.
Thats fair enough and no way am I in the posistion to argue I have to take their word for it.  I cant watch all the video's as Im in work but for someone who has never been into space (lol, not actually) I did find it interesting, maybe 'cos they spoke in a 'space for dummies' kind of way which for once I could understand.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

I'm pretty sure that Patrick Stewarts voice..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Kmarion wrote:

That'll be the fella off Star Trek who appears here a lot with his head in his hands isnt it?
Benzin
+576|6000
Explain one thing to me, though: I thought Jupiter was a gas giant. Meaning, no surface? Maybe just a molten core at the center? Can anyone shed some light on this one?

1927 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

That'll be the fella off Star Trek who appears here a lot with his head in his hands isnt it?
yes
Defiance
+438|6673

1927 wrote:

You understand it perfectly well. The solar system is fucking huge. To appreciate that is hard, but it has to be accepted.

@CapN: Gas, while it is more 'pillowy' then a solid, will still react drastically when hit by something that huge.

Last edited by Defiance (2009-07-21 02:55:30)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard