uziq
+492|3496

DesertFox- wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I hope this doesn't turn into a David Bowie situation. You couldn't escape talk about him.
I know people actually viewed Bowie as an important and creative musician. Do people actually think that about Prince? (Seriously asking. I know of several of his songs, but never really listened to him and thought he was just a famous weirdo from the '80s.
prince had 10x the musical talent of bowie. he maybe wasn't the fashion/pop icon that bowie became, but every musician in almost every genre knew that prince had serious chops.

Last edited by uziq (2016-04-21 14:39:44)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3763
I am not sure about every genre. Metal and rock bands at the time didn't like him and many still don't. Then again metal is a genre of musical ignorance. From the fans to the bands. Okay to listen to. Awful people to be around.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3496
those genres are full of tribalistic teenagers who think it's somehow a betrayal of identity to like other music. also lots of homophobic (homoerotic) bollocks about music that contains sex appeal or, you know, gets girls dancing. i'm pretty sure any metal guitarist or drummer will be able to concede that, just in terms of pure musicianship, prince was the shit. the dude could play every instrument and had like a 10 year period of putting out perfect songs.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6334|Washington St.
A great man once wrote of music:

The game done changed since Mike made Thriller and Prince made Purple Rain
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6753|England. Stoke
Prince did so much production and writing for others a huge influence.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+795|6728|United States of America
This is very interesting. I'd only really known of him through jokes on The Simpsons in the early 90s. I suppose I should listen to some of these songs.
uziq
+492|3496
i watched a biopic about prince's life a few years ago and it was full of studio/session musicians saying what a genius he was. this anecdote was referring to when he was a complete unknown. on his first two albums he wrote, played and recorded all of the instrument parts, if i recall correctly. the dude just 'got' music. and coke is right, he was way more influential than almost anyone else in those circles. bowie was a style icon but no one ever took musical cues from him. bowie followed trends, hoovered up and made 'underground' music into pop hits (remember his embarrassing bjork/drum'n'bass/jungle phase? yeah, don't bother). prince was just singular. he did what he wanted. he was also strange and a bit loopy but i think that comes with the territory of basically being a creative talent of that magnitude.

wouldn't consider myself a prince megafan btw but your post just evinced a lot of musical ignorance. not in a negative way. just you really are missing out on a lot.

Last edited by uziq (2016-04-21 16:22:13)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6676|949

I bet Prince had the bug.  Fucked a lot of women (and maybe some men too?), that guy.
uziq
+492|3496
wasn't he a jehovah's witness? he was a pretty hardcore brand of special-american flavoured nut.

e: later in life, i mean. like, a post-crisis conversion. as in, he had the bug. that cad.

Last edited by uziq (2016-04-21 16:35:26)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6676|949

he was just a weird fucking dude.  I wouldn't really be surprised to hear he had a personality cult of fellowship somewhere deep in the Congo.

Guy knew how to make music though.  And entertain.  Apparently he also enjoyed flapjacks.
uziq
+492|3496
i have nothing but respect for a 4'6" black midget that fucking owned the decade that white people were being the most questionable, coked out motherfuckers on the planet. i hope he fucked a lot of women.

Last edited by uziq (2016-04-21 16:44:50)

coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6753|England. Stoke

uziq wrote:

wasn't he a jehovah's witness? he was a pretty hardcore brand of special-american flavoured nut.

e: later in life, i mean. like, a post-crisis conversion. as in, he had the bug. that cad.
Yeah think he did become a witness, and was certainly nutty as you like, but aren't a lot of people.
And I think it was like his first 5 or 6 albums where he played everything on it, some of his guitar and bass stuff is amazing anyone who does that sells like 100 million albums and then writes and produces an shit ton of hits for others is pretty "big" in anyone's vocabulary surely.
As Uzi said I wouldn't really class myself as much of "fan" of his, but certainly respect and appreciate his work.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3763
Chyna died today too. 46 years old.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6676|949

She probably had a bigger wang than you did, Macbeth.  Does that emasculate you?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3763

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

She probably had a bigger wang than you did, Macbeth.  Does that emasculate you?
There goes Ken talking about dicks again. What is wrong with you?

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2016-04-21 17:26:55)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6676|949

you're getting to be as predictable as Jay and that dumb Georgian.  You used to be edgy and exciting, Macbeth. 

Has a future lifetime of chiseling gum off school desks and enduring spitballs to the back of your head dulled you?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3763

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

you're getting to be as predictable as Jay and that dumb Georgian.  You used to be edgy and exciting, Macbeth. 

Has a future lifetime of chiseling gum off school desks and enduring spitballs to the back of your head dulled you?
because if i say something vaguely offensive the autistic cartoon watching mod will get together with that Finfag Eifa stalker and try to ban me again because I made fun of him in a PM.

the mods here are nazis. and i am not sure if you are the Ernst Rohm because you are a closeted homo or if you are Heinrich Himmler of this place you mouthy midget.

let me post in peace.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6676|949

aww you're butthurt.  sorry
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6753|England. Stoke
In reference to posts elsewhere you both sound "salty".
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3763
Ken is just thirsty for my dick
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6676|949

too much salt makes me thirsty.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6334|Washington St.
everyone shut the fuck up
uziq
+492|3496
I wanna be your lover
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6666|Little Bentcock

SuperJail Warden wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

because if i say something vaguely offensive the autistic cartoon watching mod will get together with that Finfag Eifa stalker and try to ban me again because I made fun of him in a PM.

the mods here are nazis. and i am not sure if you are the Ernst Rohm because you are a closeted homo or if you are Heinrich Himmler of this place you mouthy midget.

let me post in peace.
that was a great post.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3763
I was too quick to get cynical regarding Prince's importance. Even the classic rock stations here are talking about how good he was at playing guitar and are playing and pointing out the rock songs he wrote and produced that you would have never known. It is funny that even soon hardcore right wing blogs and sites mourned. Drudge Report went purple for the day.

I was wrong about David Bowie too. Interviews with him started popping up in other places not related to music and he seemed like a very thoughtful and considerate person.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard