Selection/fraud85%85% - 81
Election/legitimate14%14% - 14
Total: 95
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

imortal wrote:

Iran reformists arrested after Tehran riots

At least 10 leaders of two Iranian reformist groups who backed defeated presidential candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi have been arrested after President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's re-election in a deeply-disputed vote sparked riots across Tehran.
Are we now seeing a consolodation of power by way of arresting the competition?
Mousavi is under house arrest. I'm sure they don't want him to be in touch with his supporters. They need to give the illusion of it being over and that he has left them.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

Reciprocity wrote:

i'd be interested to see any intel on the loyalties of the iranian military leadership.  if they're all hardline ayatollah/Ahmadinejad backers, these kids don't stand a chance.
Somebody has been watching Valkyrie ...lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6187|'straya

Mekstizzle wrote:

It's obviously fraud and a fucked up election, apparently a-jod even won strongly in the hometown/region of the other guy. And yeah, those bulletpoints kez posted.

But a-jod has the backing of all the big institutions and the police/army etc.. so yeah, Iran has just turned into a military/police crazy dictatorship, not that it wasn't before but still
Don't discount the fact that some army/police commanders may be loyal to Mousavi. So there could be fighting between different units etc.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

imortal.. try to keep up with this, http://search.twitter.com/search?q=IranElection
Xbone Stormsurgezz
imortal
+240|6703|Austin, TX

Kmarion wrote:

imortal wrote:

At least 10 leaders of two Iranian reformist groups who backed defeated presidential candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi have been arrested after President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's re-election in a deeply-disputed vote sparked riots across Tehran.
Mousavi is under house arrest. I'm sure they don't want him to be in touch with his supporters. They need to give the illusion of it being over and that he has left them.
...but they are rounding up more, taking the ringleaders who would be most successful in consolodating the relatively unorganized mobs in the streets.  Smart (from their point of view), but just puts the current Iranian government in a darker light.

Oh, and trying to show it is over? Not doing so hot on that part, are they?  I wonder if it would be better or worse for them if Mousavi gets 'martyred.'
Rohirm
Fear is a Leash
+85|6210|New Austin, Not

Reciprocity wrote:

i'd be interested to see any intel on the loyalties of the iranian military leadership.  if they're all hardline ayatollah/Ahmadinejad backers, these kids don't stand a chance.
E.g. The revolutionary guard.
imortal
+240|6703|Austin, TX

Kmarion wrote:

imortal.. try to keep up with this, http://search.twitter.com/search?q=IranElection
yeah, good luck with that!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

imortal wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

imortal wrote:

...but they are rounding up more, taking the ringleaders who would be most successful in consolodating the relatively unorganized mobs in the streets.  Smart (from their point of view), but just puts the current Iranian government in a darker light.

Oh, and trying to show it is over? Not doing so hot on that part, are they?  I wonder if it would be better or worse for them if Mousavi gets 'martyred.'
They have a cause they are passionate about as well as a majority and sympathy. Mousavi needs to lead, not die.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
imortal
+240|6703|Austin, TX
here is an update: US rejects victory claim by Iran's Ahmadinejad

I guess we know what the official US line is now.

Kmarion wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

Somebody has been watching Valkyrie ...lol
Hey, remember the fun in Moscow back in the day when things got wooly in early post-Soviet Russia?

Kmarion wrote:

imortal wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

They have a cause they are passionate about as well as a majority and sympathy. Mousavi needs to lead, not die.
...but what would happen with his followers?  If Mousavi died, he would not be able to lead; but would his death spell the end of the current government as a martyr to rally behind?  As a symbol of a new revolution?

...SERIOUS editing to consolodate three back-to back posts.

Last edited by imortal (2009-06-14 00:34:11)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

imortal wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

imortal wrote:

...but what would happen with his followers?  If Mousavi died, he would not be able to lead; but would his death spell the end of the current government as a martyr to rally behind?  As a symbol of a new revolution?
I see no problem with the rally as of yet. Normally I would say there is no chance of him dieing, but the hardliners have been extraordinarily overt in their actions.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Rohirm
Fear is a Leash
+85|6210|New Austin, Not
If Mousavi is "taken out of the equation", I would expect nothing less then a full on civil war, assuming there are military units in league with him. His supporters would probably fight in his name against the hardliners and casualties on both sides will mount. We all seen the pictures in the middle east; they are a passionate people when it comes to martyrdom (you know, the funeral processions and all and the angry chants for vengence). If he dies, all hell will break loose and the lines in the sand will be drawn, with blood. He is a symbol for a more, dare I say moderate Iran.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

imortal wrote:

here is an update: US rejects victory claim by Iran's Ahmadinejad

I guess we know what the official US line is now.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
imortal
+240|6703|Austin, TX
Am I the only one not convinced by this arguement?:

"The heaviest pressure and psychological warfare was organized against the people of Iran. A large number of foreign media ... organized a full-fledged fight against our people," Ahmadinejad said, according to an English translation of his victory speech carried on state television
source
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6567|Global Command
Why did the clergy panic? Because they saw something much larger than just Mousavi being elected. They saw the beginnings of a wave that would sweep them out of power.  This started with Khatami. and it won't stop today just because they declared a fraudulent winner.  Mousavi would have been the crowbar with which to pry open the tangled nest of corruption that came into power soon after the 1979 revolution.  There is enough pent-up anger in Iran's youth to fuel a complete wipeout of the regime.  If the thugs were so utterly ham-fisted in their attempt to usurp power, they surely will commit scores of idiotic errors in the days to come.  I cannot imagine Rafsanjani staying quiet for much longer; the theocracy is about to break wide open.  Resistance will take many forms, and now will not stop until the mullahs are permanently out of power.  Iran is headed for civil war.
Reciprocity
+721|6619|the dank(super) side of Oregon
thrown stones and empassioned chants don't do much against tanks.  there would have to be a schism in their military.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

imortal wrote:

Am I the only one not convinced by this arguement?:

"The heaviest pressure and psychological warfare was organized against the people of Iran. A large number of foreign media ... organized a full-fledged fight against our people," Ahmadinejad said, according to an English translation of his victory speech carried on state television
source
Yes that has always been his fallback.. even while thousands of his own rally against him.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

Reciprocity wrote:

thrown stones and empassioned chants don't do much against tanks.  there would have to be a schism in their military.
They need someone with a patch over their eye... and better timing.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Reciprocity

Kmarion wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

They need someone with a patch over their eye... and better timing.
i have yet to see that movie.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6754
I hope this isn't giving Obama any ideas for 2012?
Love is the answer
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

I wonder if by some miracle Mousavi does take power.. would the hardliners start driving chlorine filled trucks into marketplaces and killing at will?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Reciprocity

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

yes, of course you would say that.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

Reciprocity wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

lolz
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6567|Global Command
The people of Iran do not want war.

Only it's leaders.

The youth know that if they don't sack the government chances are very high there will be a terrible war.

I hope they flood the streets and shut the place down and not stop until they have a new government.

edit;

most lop sided poll ever.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6754

Reciprocity wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

just seeing if everyone is paying attention...lol

I hope there is a peaceful end to the Iranian election situation...
Love is the answer
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

The people of Iran do not want war.

Only it's leaders.

The youth know that if they don't sack the government chances are very high there will be a terrible war.

I hope they flood the streets and shut the place down and not stop until they have a new government.

edit;

most lop sided poll ever.
Did you see the chart? The results were identical in every part of the country. There was no attempt to disguise it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard