Mr.kodak
+-1|6640
Ok i get this all the time now.... i can't play for more then 10 minutes if that and i get kicked because it thinks iv lost my connection!!!

As soon as i got my new computer this started hapening ( could be coincidence)... But they jsut hapened to start building a new line in my area for this new adsl 2 stuff.. so i think it might be that..

But before i ring up my ISP i would liek make sure its not me causing this... So could any firewalls, routers, Computers even Or maybe BF2 be causing this...

I dont run any firewalls..

I have a router but i have port forwarded every possible port that bf2 needs.

Any help would b great!!
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6813|Bryan/College Station, TX
Well you could always test the packet loss on your line.

Go to Start -> Run
type   cmd    and hit ok

Now type   ping -t server
server would be the ip address or name of a server you know is able to be pinged. I use www.yahoo.com myself.

Now let it run for a long while. See if there is any packet loss during the times you experience connection issues. If there is then you know it's your ISP. If you notice nothing at all and you seem to still get disconnected then it might be your computer.

Also be wary. Dual Core processors do not work with BF2. You will have to force it to use only one processor when playing BF2. Failure to do so will cause connection issues and crashes for the game.

Good luck!
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Wargru
+0|6637|Norway

Mr.kodak wrote:

Ok i get this all the time now.... i can't play for more then 10 minutes if that and i get kicked because it thinks iv lost my connection!!!

As soon as i got my new computer this started hapening ( could be coincidence)... But they jsut hapened to start building a new line in my area for this new adsl 2 stuff.. so i think it might be that..

But before i ring up my ISP i would liek make sure its not me causing this... So could any firewalls, routers, Computers even Or maybe BF2 be causing this...

I dont run any firewalls..

I have a router but i have port forwarded every possible port that bf2 needs.

Any help would b great!!
Hello, i have the same problem. I can play for 1 - 3 hours with no D/C some times if im lucky, but some times i get D/C every 10 min.
I got really pissed when this started happening and it took me some time to find the problem. I figured that my new router was causing this to happen.
Some routers r not designed for online gaming, like my one goes 1 sec offline and breaks the conection when im playing.
the router works fine for just simple network usage, but not for gaming!
Dunno if that may be why u D/C to, but it can be...?
Mr.kodak
+-1|6640
Ok well its not my router..I my old computer i could host a dedi and play in it with mates and this never hapened. But that router burnt out like 1 week ago so im using my old router... Im getting a new one in a month or so for ADSL 2/

Kilroy i have a 3800 x2. ( dual core) how do i make it work on only 1 processor?? And also the ping thing do i leave that running while i play bf2?

EDIT: kilroy can u run that hole cmd command file process to me again please i dont quite get it..?

Last edited by Mr.kodak (2006-01-30 18:54:45)

Vin.Nivlason
+1|6703
I lose my connection a lot.  There are a few places where the connection is lost.

When I play BF2, I bypass my HUB.  Foul thing goes to sleep on me while I am playing.  It is like all power is lost on the thing.

I presently use a High Speed connection through the phone company.  When this connection kicks out I make sure that my connections are secured.  If I am experiencing great issues with loss of connection I unplug the High Speed.  Let it sit for a bit and plug it back in.  Basically reset the bugger.

The ISP tech support says to check your Network card if you call them.  They are reluctant to admit that their system may be the source of my problems.

I am very close to my ISP, so my signal is strong when it is working.  I am considering switching ISP's to get a more reliable signal.  There are CABLE providers in my area, so I do have some options.
D.Beeson
+2|6641
If you have a dual core CPU, you need to change the 'affinity' setting, so that it only uses one core. You can do this each time you load the game by pressing :

CTRL + ALT + DEL
click on processes
right click on bf2.exe
select 'Set Affinity'
deselect whichever core you don't want to use (it doesn't really matter which)

See if that makes a difference. If it does, then you can use a command line utility called ImageCFG (google it to find a download). You'll need to copy it to your BF2 directory. Navigate to the directory using the command line (run 'cmd' to start it), then type :

imagecfg -a 0x1 bf2.exe

That will set BF2 to run only on CPU core 0, every time you start the game. Unlike the method above, you only need to do this once.

If you want to use ImageCFG for more programs, then you should copy it to  C:\Windows\system32, and C:\Windows\system32\dllcache. That will make it a system command, so you won't need to copy it every time you need it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by D.Beeson (2006-01-30 20:12:08)

Mr.kodak
+-1|6640
Dude i love you! it works now... i was jsut playing for about 4 hrs non stop and no conection problems!!!!! But ill give it 24hrs of testing to see if it works proper!!!
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Lucky, i'm DYING to get a new Alienware this piece of shit HP computer with a 1.6 GHz processor sucks.
D.Beeson
+2|6641
Glad to help
Ablemabel
+0|6710
Nice one - this problem has been winding me up for weeks - I've switched hubs, changed ISP and kicked sh1t out of the computer - thanks
songquester
+0|6400
Im having the same issue, but I dont have a dual core CPU. I seemed to happen after the latest patch.
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6692|Oregon
i have the same issues, but a single-core P4E @3.4, but its hyperthreaded...maybe this does the same thing?  idk. ill try these when i get home.
greenhaven
+47|6435

kilroy0097 wrote:

Well you could always test the packet loss on your line.

Go to Start -> Run
type   cmd    and hit ok

Now type   ping -t server
server would be the ip address or name of a server you know is able to be pinged. I use www.yahoo.com myself.

Now let it run for a long while. See if there is any packet loss during the times you experience connection issues. If there is then you know it's your ISP. If you notice nothing at all and you seem to still get disconnected then it might be your computer.

Also be wary. Dual Core processors do not work with BF2. You will have to force it to use only one processor when playing BF2. Failure to do so will cause connection issues and crashes for the game.

Good luck!
I run BF2 with a dual core processor (Core 2 Duo E6400), and it works just fine. There are some rare crashes, but hey, it is BF2.
[RDH]Warlord
Quakecon Attendee
+17|6628|SLC, Utah, USA
I have a dual core, and some days it just seems to want to make me lose connection to the server the instant I spawn in with a kit.  Setting the affinity works instantly.  Some days I forget to do the set affinity trick but never get kicked.  go figure...

As for connection problems, the ONLY time I get it is when the server itself is having problems.  I've never lost connection when nobody else has.

My friend has, which is odd, since his computer is a single core, and is hooked to the same network, same internet, same switch, yet he got a connection problem on the same server I was on.  He was all "what the, connection problems!"  Then he looked over at me, saw I was still playing and staring at his suddenly immobile in-game form.  We still aren't sure what happened there...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard