Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6713|67.222.138.85
Anyone who claims to have calculated the probability of creating a black hole is talking out their ass.
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6590|England
I agree the numbers are rather arbitrary. But some sort of risk assessment must have been done in order to give the project the go-ahead and shut up the nay sayers.
MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6173

Varegg wrote:

Shit ... my birthday is the day after the end of the world

If the earth doesn't go under on 910 we can celebrate 911 both as my birthday and LHC survivor day
Rudie Giuliani already has dibs on 9/11, sorry.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6189|Ireland
We won't even know if something goes wrong.  It will happen that fast.

The best thing we can do is not worry about it because we win either way.

If you are religious----->  If we all get sucked into a vortex would it not be God's will? 
If you don't believe in God---->  If we all get sucked into a vortex it will happen so fast you won't even know it happened so who cares.
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6590|England
^^^
/facepalm
topal63
. . .
+533|6724
What Will the LHC Find?
http://cosmicvariance.com/2008/08/04/wh … -lhc-find/

My favorites:
Stable Black Holes That Eats Up the Earth, Destroying all Living Organisms in the Process:
10 to the minus 25 percent chance.
So you’re saying there’s a chance? (Dumb & Dumber reference - sweet!).

God:
10 to the minus 20 percent chance.
More likely than stable black holes, but still a long shot.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-09-06 11:31:37)

jord
+2,382|6684|The North, beyond the wall.
So what would happen If I stood inside or infront of the beam?

Would I be like the Hulk?
topal63
. . .
+533|6724

jord wrote:

High-speed particles are already passing through your body all the time. Are you the hulk right now?
jord

topal63 wrote:

jord wrote:

High-speed particles are already passing through your body all the time. Are you the hulk right now?
1 more week at the gym and I will be.
topal63
. . .
+533|6724

jord wrote:

topal63 wrote:

jord wrote:

So what you're rely saying is forget the LHC on Wednesday, because the real threat, the hulk, is about to be unleashed in one week.
jord

topal63 wrote:

jord wrote:

topal63 wrote:

So what you're rely saying is forget the LHC on Wednesday, because the real threat, the hulk, is about to be unleashed in one week.
Perhaps.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6453|Chicago, IL
i can't wait

being the uber-nerd that i am, I'm really excited to see what these experiments produce prove, and disprove regarding quantum mechanics
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6499|N. Ireland
October holds the true mystery, but this September one should still be cool!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

topal63 wrote:

jord wrote:

Not that high speed (not ones with mass anyway). The momentum of one of these particles is equivalent to an aircraft carrier travelling at 30 knots - think of the pressure. Of course it would almost certainly pass straight through you without any collision, but if not, I have no idea what would happen.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2008-09-06 13:45:41)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

wut?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graviton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

Have you really never heard of either?
Quite the opposite in fact.

I don't understand how the discovery of the graviton would help String theory against the various other theories. All theories that I know of require the existence of a gravitron, String theory is just one way of explaining why there is a gravitron.
It's to do with the extra dimensional predictions made in various string theories. These predict gravitons forming and then vanishing into other dimensions. Seeing a graviton and then seeing it being gone are what they hope for.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6349|tropical regions of london

kylef wrote:

October holds the true mystery, but this September one should still be cool!

God Save the Queen wrote:

how many times have I read about this thing being switched on already?
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6453|Chicago, IL

Bertster7 wrote:

topal63 wrote:

jord wrote:

Not that high speed. The momentum of one of these particles is equivalent to an aircraft carrier travelling at 30 knots - think of the pressure. Of course it would almost certainly pass straight through you without any collision, but if not, I have no idea what would happen.
It would unifromly transfer its momentum to one of your protons, sending it flying off into oblivion, and turning one of your carbons into boron, destroying whatever molecule it was part of.

assuming you're in front of the beam, you'd be torn to shreds
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

S.Lythberg wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

topal63 wrote:

Not that high speed. The momentum of one of these particles is equivalent to an aircraft carrier travelling at 30 knots - think of the pressure. Of course it would almost certainly pass straight through you without any collision, but if not, I have no idea what would happen.
It would unifromly transfer its momentum to one of your protons, sending it flying off into oblivion, and turning one of your carbons into boron, destroying whatever molecule it was part of.

If it didn't go straight through you. Most of you is nothing after all.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6453|Chicago, IL

Bertster7 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

If it didn't go straight through you. Most of you is nothing after all.
true, but charged particles will be drawn toward your protons, making a collision more likely.

even a near miss can ionize molecules and cause repulsion.

i wouldn't recommend standing in the beam anyway, the superconducting magnets required to focus the beam would shred you if the beam itself didn't
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6474
I'll laugh my ass off if they don't find anything important that they didn't already know.

Which I think is what is going to be the case.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6229|Escea

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

I'll laugh my ass off if they don't find anything important that they didn't already know.

Can you imagine if like 1 min before it fires one of the scientists suddenly thinks he's forgotten to put a part in? lols would be had
Reciprocity
+721|6587|the dank(super) side of Oregon
promises promises
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6349|tropical regions of london

M.O.A.B wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Can you imagine if like 1 min before it fires one of the scientists suddenly thinks he's forgotten to put a part in? lols would be had
I would fire that dude.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6499|N. Ireland

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Well that's the thing - technically that isn't possible. What we are basing everything on is theory. At worst, theory becomes fact (which is still quite a large step)
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6372|California
HULK SMASH!!!!!
agagagagafdhdfhshg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard