• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Freezer's guide to overclocking your processor using BIOS
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6207|Winland

some_random_panda wrote:

Anyone know of a program I can use to monitor my cpu temp?  I'm hesitant to up the core voltage/fsb because I'm new to this and I don't have a system fan.
Realtemp and CoreTemp.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6499|Gogledd Cymru

Thanks for the guide, helped explain all the nerd shit to me in laymans terms A++++
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6668|BC, Canada
So in my BIOS, my Multiplier is set to 6X but I have the option to change it up to 9X. Am I able to do this to achieve an overclock?
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6473|cuntshitlake

What processor do you have?
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6668|BC, Canada
E6600@ 2.4 with a Tuniq tower for heatsink.

Last edited by Nicholas Langdon (2008-11-13 14:19:53)

DUnlimited
+1,160|6473|cuntshitlake

Set the multiplier to 9 and disable anything called "C1E" or "SpeedStep" or "Cool'n'Quiet" from the bios. 9 is the default ratio of that CPU, you have either been running it at 1.6GHz or have C1E/SpeedStep/Cool'n'Quiet enabled.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6668|BC, Canada
Really? every test i do reads it as 2.4, im gonna restart and give this a go now.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6668|BC, Canada
wow! just that took my 3Dmark06 cpu score from 1456 to 2162. thx alot.
DUnlimited
+1,160|6473|cuntshitlake

No problem
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6668|BC, Canada
Also... just looking in my Bios to overclock... I don't have the option to  raise the fsb in MHz, just an option in overvoltage control, I do have the option to change the cpu clock in MHz. would this be one of those differences in terminology? and is it cool to change it from there?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6207|Winland

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

Also... just looking in my Bios to overclock... I don't have the option to  raise the fsb in MHz, just an option in overvoltage control, I do have the option to change the cpu clock in MHz. would this be one of those differences in terminology? and is it cool to change it from there?
Could you take a picture of that screen, perhaps? Just with your camera.

On an unrelated note, is that an MSI mobo?
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6668|BC, Canada
Ill get a pic now, it'll take a minute. And its a gigabyte mobo, I believe a GA-965P-D3R i think....
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6668|BC, Canada
pics:
Main menu:
https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/twigmar/DSC00262.jpg
MB Intelligent tweaker menu:
https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/twigmar/DSC00263.jpg
Closer:
https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/twigmar/DSC00264.jpg

Last edited by Nicholas Langdon (2008-11-13 15:40:55)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6577|NYC / Hamburg

CPU host clock control is what you're looking for

Last edited by max (2008-11-13 15:40:58)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6207|Winland

max wrote:

CPU host clock control is what you're looking for
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6668|BC, Canada
ty... time to go play with that.
Thanks again for all the help guys, it was good to finally start learning this stuff.
I managed to get my E6600 up to 3.105 GHz before I started having problems....
The clock speed didnt seem to want to go above 350 MHz, after that it just started reseting itself to the stock.
Ah well... I'm more than happy with what I've learned and achieved today.

Last edited by Nicholas Langdon (2008-11-13 19:25:52)

-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6668|BC, Canada
So another problem popped up... I've got it up to 3.40 GHz.. but when I go above 3.20... it has problems starting up, My comp that is.
The power supply will try to turn on multiple times. I have to shut off the power at the main to actually restart it. When it does restart the bios numbers havent changed, but switched back to auto and remained the same. If I go straight to windows, everything reads as stock speeds. If I change it back to manual and up the cpu voltage a notch, then save and restart, it logs into windows with the overclocked values.

Now.. I never had one error in orthos while bringing it up, just this would happen unless I upped my voltage. I didnt have to increase the voltage untill I reached 3.10 GHz. Stock voltage was 1.325, and I managed to get up to 3.4 only raising it 2 steps. I now have it up to 1.43V which seemed low compaired to some of the others on the E6600 in the overclocking thread.

The comp runs fine once I have it started... What are my options to resolve this annoyance?
Should I up the FSB voltage by 0.1V?
Maybe take the CPU voltage a bit higher?

Oh if it matters, the PSU I'm using is a Ultra modular 550W, as my OCZ GameXtreme 600W stopped working recently...
Thanks in advance.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6207|Winland

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

So another problem popped up... I've got it up to 3.40 GHz.. but when I go above 3.20... it has problems starting up, My comp that is.
The power supply will try to turn on multiple times. I have to shut off the power at the main to actually restart it. When it does restart the bios numbers havent changed, but switched back to auto and remained the same. If I go straight to windows, everything reads as stock speeds. If I change it back to manual and up the cpu voltage a notch, then save and restart, it logs into windows with the overclocked values.

Now.. I never had one error in orthos while bringing it up, just this would happen unless I upped my voltage. I didnt have to increase the voltage untill I reached 3.10 GHz. Stock voltage was 1.325, and I managed to get up to 3.4 only raising it 2 steps. I now have it up to 1.43V which seemed low compaired to some of the others on the E6600 in the overclocking thread.

The comp runs fine once I have it started... What are my options to resolve this annoyance?
Should I up the FSB voltage by 0.1V?
Maybe take the CPU voltage a bit higher?

Oh if it matters, the PSU I'm using is a Ultra modular 550W, as my OCZ GameXtreme 600W stopped working recently...
Thanks in advance.
If it doesn't work, volt it
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6700|Devon, England
Probably a completely unrelated matter, but in CPU-Z, my RAM speed says 400Mhz. I'm sure it should be 800...

I have 2GB (2 x 1GB) of OCZ Platinum RAM.

I have a feeling it has something to do with this FSB:DRAM ratio... Not too sure what this... Any help..?

Oh, and in my BIOS it says my RAM should be 800Mhz.

But would it be this because it's Dual Channel and 400 + 400 = 800?

I need help understanding this...

Last edited by FFLink13 (2008-11-17 18:14:34)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6775|Cambridge (UK)

FFLink13 wrote:

Probably a completely unrelated matter, but in CPU-Z, my RAM speed says 400Mhz. I'm sure it should be 800...

I have a feeling it has something to do with this FSB:DRAM ratio... Not too sure what this... Any help..?

Post your specs, particularly your CPU, RAM and mobo specs (screenshots of relevant CPU-Z pages will do).

(it's probably actually fine, and correct, but we'll need to know your specs to be certain)

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-11-17 18:56:33)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6207|Winland

FFLink13 wrote:

CPU-Z doesn't report DDR speeds. 400MHz = 800MHz. 333MHz = 667MHz, and so on.
FFLink
There is.

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FFLink13 wrote:

CPU-Z doesn't report DDR speeds. 400MHz = 800MHz. 333MHz = 667MHz, and so on.
Awesome, cheers.

Also, one more question:

I can't overclock my E4400 to 3.0Ghz or above. The highest I can get it to is 299Mhz in the BIOS, so it's 2.99Ghz altogether.

I don't know why, but what happens is after I set it to 3.0Ghz or higher, after a reboot a screen comes up telling me to load a default BIOS profile or one I've already made. I can get a picture if need be. I've tried upping the voltage bit by bit, but that does nothing. I upped the Northbridge voltage, too, and the DDR. Still does nothing. What's happening here? Is it one of them blocks you mentioned in the OP?

Gigabyte DS4L SLI Motherboard
Intel E4400 (Stock 2.0Ghz)
OCZ Platinum
2x 7600GT (SLI)
Freezer 7 Pro

Cheers.
DUnlimited
+1,160|6473|cuntshitlake

Try to up volts for NB ans memory
Also try bios upgrade

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-11-19 14:36:30)

FFLink
There is.

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Try to up volts for NB ans memory
Also try bios upgrade
I'll try an update. I already upped NB and DDR voltage... Maybe I need to do more...
DUnlimited
+1,160|6473|cuntshitlake

Might just be the FSB wall of the mobo (Pretty unlikely) or the CPU. What Memory:FSB ratio you using?

Bios update is all I can think of now.

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-11-19 15:11:55)

• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Freezer's guide to overclocking your processor using BIOS

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard