VisionTek0%0% - 0
Total: 32
Brasso
+1,549|6629

What's the best ATi brand overall?

Things I'm looking for:
-good support
-good prices
-warranty that covers overclocking (if any of them do)
-good manufacturing process
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5928|NY/CT

haffeysucks wrote:

What's the best ATi brand overall?

Things I'm looking for:
-good support
-good prices
-warranty that covers overclocking (if any of them do)
-good manufacturing process
thanks lol i was thinking of doing this
aimless
+166|6124|Texas
I had a sapphire card, 9600. First one was DOA, second one lasted for 3 years. For the DOA one I went through ATI's customer support so I can't comment on Sapphire. The build quality - cheap fan, cheap heatsink.
Brasso
+1,549|6629

aimless wrote:

I had a sapphire card, 9600. First one was DOA, second one lasted for 3 years. For the DOA one I went through ATI's customer support so I can't comment on Sapphire. The build quality - cheap fan, cheap heatsink.
Good to know, thanks.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
cospengle
+140|6486|Armidale, NSW, Australia
I null voted. I've only ever had one ATi card and it's a Sapphire x1950pro. I wasn't happy with its overheating issues, but now it's got better cooling it's all good. As for support/prices etc.... I live in Australia, most companies think we're near Germany.

Last edited by cospengle (2008-06-17 20:57:37)

The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6113|SC | USA |
I've only had one experience with Ati, an X1300 from an OEM, so I null voted. Your best bet is to research em and find what best fits you. It will probably end up like Nvidia with just picking the best warranty/price.
Brasso
+1,549|6629

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

I've only had one experience with Ati, an X1300 from an OEM, so I null voted. Your best bet is to research em and find what best fits you. It will probably end up like Nvidia with just picking the best warranty/price.
With nVidia, eVGA and XFX are clearly the best.  With ATi, it seems like a toss-up...
Volatile
+252|6703|Sextupling in Empire

Yes, with the new cards coming out it looks as though I'll be purchasing my first ATi card. Someone has to have experience with purchasing ATi cards. What is the eVGA equivalent for the red team?
The#1Spot
+105|6539|byah
I kind of wanted to ask this as well. I plan on buying a 4850 or a 3850 and never bought an ati card before.
Computer_Guy
+54|6696
ATI is the best brand, you just have to wait for them to release there own cards.
mikkel
+383|6600
The only ATi card I've had that didn't give me any trouble was a passively cooled ATi-made Rage 128 Pro. I had an HIS 9800 Pro with a two-slot cooling solution that cooled well and all, but started making horrible noises after a year or so. Granted, this was the first generation of cards with two-slot cooling solutions, and other than the rattling fan, it seemed decently sturdy.

Not much of an ATi guy, though, so I can't comment on the rest.
CrazeD
+368|6672|Maine
Sapphire. hands down.
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6326|Australia
Powercolor.....?
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6196|Winland

Sapphire, they tend to be a bit cheaper, on the cost of coolers, often going for single-slot ones. Just get an Accelero S1 for $20, and you're good to go. I <3 my Sapphire Radeon cards.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6536|Long Island, New York
Sapphire's my preferred one, though I haven't had an ATi card since early 2007 (X550).

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-06-18 01:57:14)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6196|Winland

Poseidon wrote:

Sapphire's my preferred one, though I haven't had an ATi card since early 2007 (X550).
Holy crap, that thing was slow, even back then!
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6536|Long Island, New York

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

lol, you're telling me! God, I hated that rig. Actually, it's sitting next to me right now. Maybe I should pull a you and set it on fire and inhale the fumes?

Thank God for jobs...even this rig is getting slow and it's very loud. Fuck the Antec Nine Hundred. Over rated POS.

Sorry, rant over.
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6234|United Kingdom

Poseidon wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

lol, you're telling me! God, I hated that rig. Actually, it's sitting next to me right now. Maybe I should pull a you and set it on fire and inhale the fumes?

Thank God for jobs...even this rig is getting slow and it's very loud. Fuck the Antec Nine Hundred. Over rated POS.

Sorry, rant over.
Back in the beginning of 2007 I think I was still using a Sapphire X300, before I bought my 7900 in January 07.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6452|The Twilight Zone
Gigabyte
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6413|Finland

I think I have had the most ATi cards here lately. Sapphire is the best. I have had 4 of them recently.

BTW Most ATi cards are made by PC Partner so the only difference is the bundle. The stock cooler cards from Sapphire, Asus, Diamond etc. are all PC Partner. Sapphire is the retail selling name for PC Partner's ATi cards.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6548|UK

Sapphire tbh, and that will probably be the one I get if I do indeed get that 4870 (almost a guarentee, I aint buying that shitty GTX 260).

Martyn
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6113|SC | USA |
I just realized something. If the GTX 280 offers no improvement in speed, and reviews say the 4870 is 60-85% the speed of the 280, the 4870 barely offers improvement.
The#1Spot
+105|6539|byah

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

I just realized something. If the GTX 280 offers no improvement in speed, and reviews say the 4870 is 60-85% the speed of the 280, the 4870 barely offers improvement.
huh?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6196|Winland

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

It's an improvement over the 3870, which is about 2/3 the speed of the 9800GTX.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6548|UK

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

It costs half the money dude!  Infact less depending on where you look.

It isnt a competitor part either, it's a mid/high range vs the super high end of Nvidia.  If you want a comparison it would need to either be a crossfire config, or wait for the 4870X2.

If it offers anything above 50% of the performance of the GTX 280 (and chances are it could beat it in a few tests) then it's a bonous.  There not competing parts.

Martyn

Last edited by Bell (2008-06-18 07:24:23)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard