Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6716|Houston, TX
Well the news is in.  Snipers rejoice, we have a new weapon unlock to play with.  The British sniper rifle, L96A1 is our new headshot launcher.  I'd assume it will be bolt action with about 10-12 in the clip.  Any thoughts, wishes, or expectations.

I'd love to hear from someone with triggertime on it.  Although EA has proved in the past that sniper rifles don't quite make the realistic conversion from real life to gameworld (ie a .50 cal bullet that only wounds)  I'd still love to hear feedback from someone with hands on experience.
Octavarium
+1|6681
Is it an unlock?

I thought it was just the sniper rifle from BF2:EF?

Surely that will mean that the anti-tank unlock will be the FN-P90?
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6716|Houston, TX
I'm willing to bet that they (EA/DICE) do the booster like SF.  You have access to the gun as the standard primary when playing with other booster pack owners, but when you play "vanilla" BF2 you'll have it as an unlockable.
CRIMS0N_W0LF
+21|6710
Caliber: L96, AW, AW Police, AW Folding: 7.62x51mm NATO (.308 win); Super Magnum: .338 Lapua (8.60x70mm), .300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag
Operation: Bolt Action
Length: 1270mm
Barrel lenght: 686mm (.338 Lapua), 660mm (.300 and 7mm)
Weight: 6.8kg empty without telescope
Magazine Capacity: 5 round box magazine
Maximum Effective Range: ca. 800 meters for 7.62mm NATO variants, 1100+ meters for Magnum variants

In early 1980's British Army started the search for the replacement of the aging L42 Enfield sniper rifles. Main compettitors were british companies Parker-Hale with their model 82 bolt action rifle, and Accuracy International, with their PM rifle. Eventually, PM rifle won the competition and was accepted by British Army under the designation of L96
One of the most notorious features of the PM rifle was design of the stock. Instead of the solid polymer or wooden stock, PM/L96 used hollow polymer stock, made from two halves and assembled around aluminium bedding block, that extends to whole stock lenght. L96 also was equipped with backup iron sights.
In mid-1980s Sweden forces began their own quest for the new sniper rifle, that could survive heavy nordic environments. The AI again become the winner in this race with improved L96 design, named "Arctic warfare". In 1988 Swedish forces adopt AW rifle in 7.62mm NATO chambering under the designation of PSG.90. British Army, in its turn, also adopted this improved design under the designation of L96A1, as well as many other militaries and Law Enforcement agencies around the world. In 1998, the Bundeswehr (Germany Army) also adopted the AW Super Magnum rifle chambered in .300 Winchester magnum (germany designation 7.62x67mm) as Scharfschutzengewehre (sniper rifle - german) G22.

Built by Accuracy International of Portsmuth, England, this line of rifles is among the best in the World of sniper rifles today. This rifle can shot less than 2" (51mm) groups at the distances of 600 yards (550m), using boat-tail match ammunition. Arctic Warfare is a line of 5 rifles. Original Arctc Warfare was designed for the British military. It gained its designation by special anti-icing features, allowing sniping operations to be carried out under Arctic conditions as low as -40C (-104F)! Other models are Police (AWP), Suppressed (AWS), Folding (AWF) and Super Magnum (AW SM). Three first rifles designed for 7.62mm NATO ammunition, while Super Magnum can be chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum and 7mm Remington Magnum. AW has a 26" (660mm) barrel, AWP has 24" (609mm). AW SM barrels available in lentths from 24" (609mm) to 27" (686mm). The standart scopes supplied by Accuracy International are Smidt&Bender 3-12X variable or the Leupold Mark 4 fixed 10X scope.

https://world.guns.ru/sniper/l96.jpg
Drunk_Musketeer
To be honest I don't care anyway..
+57|6709|Great Wall
It will be same shit like M95..
fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6726|The Netherlands

Octavarium wrote:

Is it an unlock?

I thought it was just the sniper rifle from BF2:EF?
double that
I m pretty sure it was the new weapon for BF2 EF though it would make sense since they allready created that
CRIMS0N_W0LF
+21|6710

Drunk_Musketeer wrote:

It will be same shit like M95..
No it is not. M95 is a large caliber rifle while the L96A1 is a Standard Caliber rifle (like m24)
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6716|Houston, TX
Elmo, you don't think it'll be an unlock option for the Vanilla BF2 game?  It would be like EA/DICE to make a gun available to those who purchase it. Thus causing all the non buyers to want to have access to those guns when they see them online.  Gotta think EA style ($$$$$$$$)

KJ
=RDG=[N.B]canadiannnn
Forklift Whore
+67|6738|Canader , eh?
omg..i just saw a pic of it...its a f**king CS gun!!!!
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6747|Scotland!!!
ooooooo i cant wait for the L96A1! posted that as my dream kit in another topic, cant wait
DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6729|Brixham, UK
"omg..i just saw a pic of it...its a f**king CS gun!!!!"

The M4 and Ak47's are in CS... does that make them CS guns?
Berserk_Vampire
Banned
+7|6659
fuck pussy sniper rifles lets see some new pistols or assault rifles.
DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6729|Brixham, UK
I wish that the AT class could get a carbine sometimes. Long range power, but not as good as an AR.
Esker
+1|6698
Now that would be totally stupid.
Rus_78_Region
+0|6671|St.-Petersburg, Russia
HK G3SG1 or Remington 700SV or PSG-1
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6747|Scotland!!!

Berserk_Vampire wrote:

takes skill to be a gd sniper
Tagmaestro
+6|6676|New Jersey
They should have went with the CheyTac Intervention.
WooT_Stolpskott
+1|6700|Sweden
its the AWP ffs:P
Aquastorm
Last of the Uchiha
+4|6683|Hong Kong, China

Berserk_Vampire wrote:

Yeh, great, uneeded swearing is JUST what we need. We have unlocks for everything but AT and Sniper for SF, it's time they got some much need attention!
RDMC_old
+0|6707|Almere, Holland

Kung Jew wrote:

Well the news is in.  Snipers rejoice, we have a new weapon unlock to play with.  The British sniper rifle, L96A1 is our new headshot launcher.  I'd assume it will be bolt action with about 10-12 in the clip.  Any thoughts, wishes, or expectations.

I'd love to hear from someone with triggertime on it.  Although EA has proved in the past that sniper rifles don't quite make the realistic conversion from real life to gameworld (ie a .50 cal bullet that only wounds)  I'd still love to hear feedback from someone with hands on experience.
the gun looks cool.. and its good they have actually added an extra unlock cauyse usually unlocks are better then the previous so every unlock is welcome here
Berserk_Vampire
Banned
+7|6659
I want an assault rifle for AT an Accurate assault rifle that is not some useless close combat weapon.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6742|Atlanta, GA USA
They're bringing the AWP to BF2! 
dracul
+2|6778
Hopefully it will end up being an m24 like rifle for the other two sides, but with the chinese spidersilk-type sights.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6716|Houston, TX
I hope the sights are like that too.  I hate the big n bulky m95 scope.
Sh4rkb1t3
+6|6655
If this weapon turns out to be an AWP, I quit.

I am guessing they will make it 1 hit kill on anything.  It doesn't matter if it hits him in the foot, 1 hit kill.  Instead of upgrading damage, they could do other things like silence it, increase clip size, better sights, etc.

Last edited by Sh4rkb1t3 (2006-01-12 14:52:09)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard