Let em' be & put up a few warning signs.44%44% - 27
Make contact (humanitarian aid & trade <-?)8%8% - 5
Wipe em' out 'Predator' style!21%21% - 13
Piss off Brinson!4%4% - 3
Total: 61
13rin
+977|6513
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-sc … -TRIBE-DC/

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil — Brazil's government agreed to release stunning photos of Amazon Indians firing arrows at an airplane so that the world can better understand the threats facing one of the few tribes still living in near-total isolation from civilization, officials said Friday.

Anthropologists have known about the group for some 20 years but released the images now to call attention to fast-encroaching development near the Indians' home in the dense jungles near Peru.

"We put the photos out because if things continue the way they are going, these people are going to disappear," said Jose Carlos Meirelles, who coordinates government efforts to protect four "uncontacted" tribes for Brazil's National Indian Foundation.

Shot in late April and early May, the foundation's photos show about a dozen Indians, mostly naked and painted red, wielding bows and arrows outside six grass-thatched huts.

Meirelles told The Associated Press in a phone interview that anthropologists know next to nothing about the group, but suspect it is related to the Tano and Aruak tribes.

Brazil's National Indian Foundation believes there may be as many as 68 "uncontacted" groups around Brazil, although only 24 have been officially confirmed.

Anthropologists say almost all of these tribes know about western civilization and have sporadic contact with prospectors, rubber tappers and loggers, but choose to turn their backs on civilization, usually because they have been attacked.

"It's a choice they made to remain isolated or maintain only occasional contacts, but these tribes usually obtain some modern goods through trading with other Indians," said Bernardo Beronde, an anthropologist who works in the region.

Brazilian officials once tried to contact such groups. Now they try to protectively isolate them.

The four tribes monitored by Meirelles include perhaps 500 people who roam over an area of about 1.6 million acres (630,000 hectares).

He said that over the 20 years he has been working in the area, the number of "malocas," or grass-roofed huts, has doubled, suggesting that the policy of isolation is working and that populations are growing.

Remaining isolated, however, gets more complicated by the day.

Loggers are closing in on the Indians' homeland — Brazil's environmental protection agency said Friday it had shut down 28 illegal sawmills in Acre state, where these tribes are located. And logging on the Peruvian border has sent many Indians fleeing into Brazil, Meirelles said.

"On the Brazilian side we don't have logging yet, but I'd like to emphasize the 'yet,'" he said.

A new road being paved from Peru into Acre will likely bring in hordes of poor settlers. Other Amazon roads have led to 30 miles (50 kilometers) of rain forest being cut down on each side, scientists say.

While "uncontacted" Indians often respond violently to contact — Meirelles caught an arrow in the face from some of the same Indians in 2004 — the greater threat is to the Indians.

"First contact is often completely catastrophic for "uncontacted" tribes. It's not unusual for 50 percent of the tribe to die in months after first contact," said Miriam Ross, a campaigner with the Indian rights group Survival International. "They don't generally have immunity to diseases common to outside society. Colds and flu that aren't usually fatal to us can completely wipe them out."

Survival International estimates about 100 tribes worldwide have chosen to avoid contact, but said the only truly uncontacted tribe is the Sentinelese, who live on North Sentinel island off the coast of India and shoot arrows at anyone who comes near.

Last year, the Metyktire tribe, with about 87 members, was discovered in a densely jungled portion of the 12.1-million-acre (4.9-million-hectare) Menkregnoti Indian reservation in the Brazilian Amazon, when two of its members showed up at another tribe's village.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6655|London, England
You guys still call them Indians...

They seem to be doing fine without intervention, let 'em be. Although how they haven't been affected by Old World diseases is just pure luck on their behalf. It'll reach them eventually, unfortunately.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6164|North Tonawanda, NY

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

What do you call them?
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6324|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

i like the pictures of them trying to shoot down the aircraft with bows and arrows
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6358|New Haven, CT

SenorToenails wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

What do you call them?
Slaves.

/British colonial joke

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-05-30 16:12:23)

Mekstizzle
WALKER

SenorToenails wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

What do you call them?
Native Americans or Indigenous Americans.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6378|tropical regions of london
this shit is amazing
13rin
+977|6513

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

They seem to be doing fine without intervention, let 'em be. Although how they haven't been affected by Old World diseases is just pure luck on their behalf. It'll reach them eventually, unfortunately.
I didn't post a word bro'.  And you were slapping my hand in the head wrap thread for being too PC...  But is does beg the question... Isn't shooting stuff at flying stuff a crime in Brazil?  So if it is then....  Wouldn't it be law to go and arrest the guy?

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2008-05-30 16:24:36)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Mekstizzle
WALKER

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

I didn't post a word bro'.  But is does beg the question... Isn't shooting stuff at flying stuff a crime in Brazil?  So if it is then....  Wouldn't it be law to go and arrest the guy?
No I doubt it, go outside start firing your arrow from a bow at an airplane in the sky and I assure you won't get arrested for trying to take down the plane (though you will probably get arrested for looking like a fag)

But they're clearly terrorists, I don't trust 'em either
God Save the Queen
Banned
Brazil has a "no contact with unknown indian tribes" policy. 

but this shit really is crazy.  look how red the fucker is.  really witnessing how people were living for thousands of years.  might as well be 1492 to those indians.
SGT_Dicklewicz
+33|6659
Maybe they should just leave em the F#$K Alone!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Unless, the reason they have survived so long is because they're actually immune to all Old World diseases, which opens up a lot of questions
Volatile
+252|6739|Sextupling in Empire

Article wrote:

...Meirelles caught an arrow in the face from some of the same Indians in 2004...
Well, we can't really just leave them in a type of sanctuary if they're straying out and killing people. Also, I think it would be a wrong to just leave them be when modern society will just eventually be built up around them.

If they're extremely aggressive and dangerous then let them die honorably with bullets. They would probably prefer that to being forced into a new lifestyle.

That said, I think all means of peaceful contact should be made. Hopefully they'll be able to assimilate into modern society without too much suffering.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6706|UK

God Save the Queen wrote:

but this shit really is crazy.  look how red the fucker is.  really witnessing how people were living for thousands of years.  might as well be 1492 to those indians.
They're coloured red because they have painted themselves with the pigment from berries.  The first fly over was seen as an act of aggression so they all went away and slapped on their war paint and waited for the metal bird to return.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
God Save the Queen
Banned
thats fucking awesome.

part of me wants them to be left alone.  another part wants to learn from em.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
It would've been more awesome if they pulled out some next level Alien Mayan shit instead of bows and arrows

Spoiler (highlight to read):
(go watch the new Indy, or did I spoil it? Oh shit...)

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-05-30 16:36:14)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6706|UK
Better explanation here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7427417.stm

More pics here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7426869.stm

BBC FTW

Last edited by m3thod (2008-05-30 16:43:41)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
13rin
+977|6513
Badass and Thank you.
13rin
+977|6513

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

I didn't post a word bro'.  But is does beg the question... Isn't shooting stuff at flying stuff a crime in Brazil?  So if it is then....  Wouldn't it be law to go and arrest the guy?
No I doubt it, go outside start firing your arrow from a bow at an airplane in the sky and I assure you won't get arrested for trying to take down the plane (though you will probably get arrested for looking like a fag)

But they're clearly terrorists, I don't trust 'em either
HA HA. Actually, they arrest a few people a year in Florida for shining laser pointers at pilots.  Not sure if that falls into your "fag" category but nether the less.  Imagine if by some miracle shot he had brought the mother down....  What then?

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2008-05-30 16:55:29)

SoC./Omega
+122|6575|Omaha, Nebraska!
We should leave them alone.

But this does make me smile
13rin
+977|6513

If it is... Can you imagine how much of a stud that guy is in his village.... All painted up fighting the ?"Evil Sky Dragon"?  Dude is getting mad action right now....
God Save the Queen
Banned
I wonder if this tribe has had any experience with warfare.  I mean, theyve got to be familiar with using weapons for defence.  but, they would have had to have been fighting people with weapons no more advanced than theirs.  You cant say they were hunting because of the red paint.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6554|Πάϊ

thats fucking awesome.
If it were up to me I'd execute them illegal loggers.

Last edited by oug (2008-05-30 18:01:10)

ƒ³
CommieChipmunk
+488|6604|Portland, OR, USA
God that would be weird of someone took them to a large city.

How surreal would that be, to have some strange men come out of nowhere and show you what's 'our world' is like.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6480|The Land of Scott Walker
Let em be, put up signs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard