_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6742|Riva, MD
Kingston or Crucial

Which one should I get?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6518|N. Ireland
They are both exactly the same spec wise, and the Crucial one has more positive reviews - so I think I'd go for that..
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6869|Reykjavík, Iceland.
I'd say crucial.
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
+219|6556|Golf 1.8 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Crucial Ballistix is the retail name for the company that makes Micron D9 chips thus making them very very very very good OCable.
CrazeD
+368|6698|Maine
Um, neither.

Why buy value ram when you can get this?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6742|Riva, MD

CrazeD wrote:

Um, neither.

That's an amazing deal but within the first two pages of reviews I have already seen more than 12 complaints of death.  I don't think I want to take my chances with those odds.
Brasso
+1,549|6656

CrazeD wrote:

Um, neither.

this man, he speaka tha truth
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5990|London, England

King-king-kingston
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6742|Riva, MD

haffeysucks wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Um, neither.

Look at the reviews of it.  Every other review says that the RAM dies at some point after they got it, in some cases after only several days.
Computer_Guy
+54|6722
Corsair!!!!!!
Brasso
+1,549|6656

_j5689_ wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Um, neither.

Look at the reviews of it.  Every other review says that the RAM dies at some point after they got it, in some cases after only several days.
they got a bad batch.  take your chances with corsair, their Ballistix RAM is dirty.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6489|cuntshitlake

It has to be 533MHz?

If not, this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820145034

(I have it, can't but love it: 4-4-4-12 with 2.08V; hit 960MHz with higher latencies easily, haven't tried higher)

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-05-29 16:22:43)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6742|Riva, MD
I'm not overclocking anyway.  This is a Dell machine, I couldn't raise anything in the BIOS or with software even if I wanted to.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6489|cuntshitlake

_j5689_ wrote:

I'm not overclocking anyway.  This is a Dell machine, I couldn't raise anything in the BIOS or with software even if I wanted to.
But taken that

a) Price is very low
b) You might want to upgrade some time, and then that ram is excellent (if you won't go for nehalem and DDR3 next time)
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6742|Riva, MD

DeathUnlimited wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

But taken that

a) Price is very low
b) You might want to upgrade some time, and then that ram is excellent (if you won't go for nehalem and DDR3 next time)
Then it'll be even cheaper by the time I upgrade cuz it probably won't be for a while.

This computer only supports 1GB in each slot, and I have four slots.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6600|London
Get the ballistix, even if you can't OC their default timings might be a bit tighter and they look cool
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6742|Riva, MD

Aries_37 wrote:

Get the ballistix, even if you can't OC their default timings might be a bit tighter and they look cool
Well, chances are that bad batch won't be gone by the time the rebate runs out (1st of June).  And as dumb as it seems, I can't afford to pay 10$ more for it.
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6621|Michigan, USA
Although I cant provide any insight on which to purchase(im an A-Data man myself) keep this in mind,  With ALOT of the reviews people like to think they are tech savy yet throw a fit if a stick of RAM fails.  All electronics of the type(be it RAM, motherboards, graphics card,etc) have bad items shipped.  You can go across every manufactuer and find people complaining about how it failed, or were dead out of the box.  However, just as many if not more generally praise said item.

Point is, dont a let a few bad reviews sway your opinions, besides that Neweggs reviews are cruddy, look up professional reviews from a tech site or the like, not one from some guy sitting at his pc angry because his RAM didnt work straight out of the box
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6742|Riva, MD

r2zoo wrote:

Although I cant provide any insight on which to purchase(im an A-Data man myself) keep this in mind,  With ALOT of the reviews people like to think they are tech savy yet throw a fit if a stick of RAM fails.  All electronics of the type(be it RAM, motherboards, graphics card,etc) have bad items shipped.  You can go across every manufactuer and find people complaining about how it failed, or were dead out of the box.  However, just as many if not more generally praise said item.

Point is, dont a let a few bad reviews sway your opinions, besides that Neweggs reviews are cruddy, look up professional reviews from a tech site or the like, not one from some guy sitting at his pc angry because his RAM didnt work straight out of the box
That's true, lol.  Hadn't thought of looking at real reviews.  The ones on Newegg say that it died very soon after they got their RAM though and there are several pages that are widely populated with such reviews, I mean normally I might disregard it if it were one or two assholes that obviously didn't know what they were talking about but this is a considerably large amount of people having problems.

Like you said though, I'll have to look at real reviews in order to make a proper judgment about it.
CrazeD
+368|6698|Maine
Every product on Newegg has people complaining that it died. I've boughten MANY parts from Newegg that reviews said were DOA or such, and I've never once had the slightest bit of trouble.

I also know a shit load of people that run Ballistix stock and with huge over clocks and with no problems.

The problems from Ballistix are that number one, it's not shipped with default voltages, so therefore it appears "dead" because it's unstable, and number two, people are stupid and crank the voltages WAY too high because it is famous for great overclocks, thus frying it and blaming it on the RAM.

Don't trust Newegg reviews, the people are stupid.

But alas, if you don't want the Ballistix, buy : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820231098

I have the exact same stuff and it is plenty fast, and overclocks great (not that you care).
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6164|New Jersey
Remember that most people are only compelled to write a review in the first place if the product does not work.  If it does work, most people will just be happy, take it for granted, and not leave a review.  So chances are the percent of people who received bad RAM is very small.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6479|The Twilight Zone

_NL_Lt.EngineerFox wrote:

Crucial Ballistix is the retail name for the company that makes Micron D9 chips thus making them very very very very good OCable.
Finally some one besides me mentions Micron D9 chips.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6155|North Tonawanda, NY

.Sup wrote:

_NL_Lt.EngineerFox wrote:

Finally some one besides me mentions Micron D9 chips.
When I used to go to computer shows to buy RAM, I would always look for the Micron (MT) logo on the chips.

https://www.frostytech.com/articleimages/mt_ram.jpg

To OP:  I have never had any Crucial/Micron RAM go bad on me, so I would pick that.
LOG
dain bramaged
+51|6147|Punta Gorda,Florida
kingston... they have a life time replacement warranty on their ram.
you learn the true meaning of life when you see houses and cars blow by like leaves on a windy day.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard